Dr Paul Leo Francis GIANGRANDE
BSc MD FRCP (Lond., Edin., & Ireland) FRCPath FRCPCH
Consultant Haematologist and Director, Oxford Haemophilia Centre, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX3 7LE, UK
Paul Giangrande is consultant haematologist at the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust and is Director of the Oxford Haemophilia Centre. He is a member of the Nuffield Department of Medicine in the University of Oxford. He qualified in Medicine from the University of Manchester in 1979 after previously obtaining a First Class Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in pharmacology. After obtaining postgraduate qualifications in both adult and paediatric medicine he trained in haematology in various major hospitals in London. He obtained a research doctorate in 1991 for his work at the Royal Free Hospital in London on immunological aspects of haemophilia treatment. He subsequently worked at the Milan Haemophilia Centre with Professor Mannucci between 1989-1990 before being appointed to his current position in Oxford in 1991. He served as elected Vice President (Medical) of the World Federation of Hemophilia from 2000 to 2008 inclusive and has wide international experience in the field. He is Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board of the European Haemophilia Consortium (EHC) and serves as examiner in haematology for the Royal College of Pathologists.
Summary of clinical work in current position:
I work exclusively in the field of haemostasis and thrombosis at the Oxford Haemophilia & Thrombosis Centre. The Centre is located within the Churchill Hospital, an integral part of the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust. Our department is a designated Comprehensive Care Centre for bleeding disorders and we treat more patients with haemophilia than any other centre in the UK. We provide a 24-hour specialist multidisciplinary clinical and laboratory service for both adults and children with a wide range of congenital and acquired disorder of coagulation. Many of our patients have related complications such as HIV infection and/or hepatitis as well as orthopaedic problems. We cover a large catchment area in central southern England, primarily the counties of Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Wiltshire and Northamptonshire. We also provide a diagnostic and treatment service for patients with deep venous thrombosis and supervise the anticoagulation of approximately 6500 patients at any one time. We have an active clinical research programme, with examples of current projects including long-acting coagulation factors and oral thrombin inhibitors.
Selected publications in last decade:
(a) Journal articles:
1. Giangrande PLF: Blood products for hemophilia-past, present and future. BioDrugs 18: 225-234 (2004)
2. Giangrande PLF. Haemophilia B: Christmas disease. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy 6:1517-24 (2005)
3. Smith MP, Giangrande P, Pollman H, Littlewood R, Kollmer C, Feingold J, and the Refacto St. Louis Study Group. A postmarketing surveillance study of the safety and efficacy of Refacto in patients with haemophilia A. Haemophilia 11: 444-451 (2005)
4. Lippert B, Berger K, Berntorp E, Giangrande P, van den Berg M, Schramm W, Siebert U for the European economic haemophilia study Group. Cost effectiveness of haemophilia treatment: a cross-national assessment. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 16: 477-485 (2005).
5. Farrugia A, Ironside JW, Giangrande P. Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease transmission by plasma products: assessing and communicating risk in an era of scientific uncertainty. Vox Sanguinis 89: 186-92 (2005)
6. Giangrande PLF, Black C. World Federation of Haemophilia programs in developing countries. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis 31:555-60 (2005).
7. Richards PG, Bertocci GE, Bonshek RE, Giangrande PL et al: Shaken baby syndrome. Archives of Disease in Childhood.91: 205-206 (2006).
8. Curry NS, Misbah SA, Giangrande PLF, Keeling DM. Achievement of immune tolerance in a patient with haemophilia B and inhibitory antibodies, complicated by an anaphylactoid reaction. Haemophilia 13: 328-330 (2007)
9. Darby SC, Kan SW, Spooner RJ, Giangrande PLF, Hill FGH, Hay CRM, Lee CA, Ludlam CA, Williams M. Mortality rates, life expectancy, and causes of death in people with hemophilia A or B in the United Kingdom who were not infected with HIV. Blood 110: 815-25 (2007)
10. Giangrande PLF, Wilde JT, Madan, B, Ludlam CA, Tuddenham GD, Goddard NJ, Dolan G, Ingerslev: Consensus protocol for the use of activated recombinant activated factor VII in elective orthopaedic surgery in haemophilic patients with inhibitors. Haemophilia 15: 501-508 (2009).
11. Rentz A, Flood E, Butler R, Christie B, Giangrande P, McCusker P, Wasserman, Gorina E: Psychometric evaluation of a patient-reported symptom assessment tool for adults with haemophilia (the HAEMO-SYM). Haemophilia 16: 1-9 (2009)
12. Giangrande PL, Escobar MA: Management of difficult-to-treat inhibitor patients. Haemophilia 16 (Suppl. 3): 52-57 (2010)
13. Muthusamy As, Giangrande PLF, Friend PJ: Pancreas allograft thrombosis. Transplantation 90: 705-707 (2010)
14. O’ Mahony B, Noone D, Giangrande PLF, Prihodova L: Haemophilia care in Europe: a survey of 19 countries. Haemophilia 17: 35-40 (2010)
15. Safety and pharmacokinetics of subcutaneously administered recombinant activated factor VII (rFVIIa). Tiede A, Friedrich U, Stenmo C, Allen G, Giangrande P, Goudemand J, Hay C, Holmström M, Klamroth R, Miesbach W, Negrier C, Yuste VJ, Berntorp E. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 9: 1191-1199 (2011)
16. Enhanced pharmacokinetic properties of a glycoPEGylated recombinant factor IX: a first human dose trial in hemophilia B. Negrier C, Knobe K, Tiede A, Giangrande P, Møss J. Blood 118: 2695-2701 (2011)
17. Management of haemophilia. Giangrande P. Paediatrics and Child Health 21: 344-347 (2011)
18. Successful immune tolerance induction in two boys with haemophilia B and inhibitory antibodies. Klukowska A, Laguna P, Waleszkiewicz B, Peregud J, Kamienska E, Bignell P, Giangrande P. Haemophilia18: e67-69 (2012)
19. Classification of the rare bleeding disorders based upon the association between coagulation factor activity and clinical bleeding severity: results from the European Network of Rare Bleeding Disorders. Peyvandi F, Palla R, Menegatti M, Siboni SM, Halimeh S, Faeser B, Pergantou H, Platokouki, Giangrande P, Peerlinck, Celkan T et al. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 10: 615-621 (2012)
20. Porcine factor VIII. Giangrande PLF. Haemophilia 18: 305-309 (2012)
21. Haemophilia care in Europe: the ESCHQoL study. Schramm W, Gringeri A, Ljung R, Berger K, Crispin A, Bullinger M, Giangrande PL, von Mackensen S, Mantovani LG, Nemes L, Serban M. Haemophilia 18: 729-737 (2012)
22. Musculoskeletal problems in persons with inhibitors: how do we treat? Caviglia H, Narayan P, Forsyth A, Giangrande P, Gilbert M, Goddard M, Mulder K, Rahim S. Haemophilia 18 (Suppl. 4): 54-60 (2012)
23. Difficult clinical challenges in haemophilia: international experiential perspectives. Forsyth AL, Giangrande P, Hay CR, Kenet G, Kessler CM, Knöbl PN, Llinas A, Santagostino E, Young G. Haemophilia 18 (Suppl. 5): 39-45 (2012)
24. A genome-wide association study of resistance to HIV infection in highly exposed uninfected individuals with hemophilia A. Lane J, McLaren PJ, Dorrell L, Shianna KV, Stemke A, Pelak K, Moore S, Oldenburg J, Alvarez-Roman MT, Angelillo-Scherrer A, Boehlen F, Bolton-Maggs PH, Brand B, Brown D, Chiang E, Cid-Haro AR, Clotet B, Collins P, Colombo S, Dalmau J, Fogarty P, Giangrande P et al. publication. Human Molecular Genetics 22: 1903-1910 (2013)
25. 40k glycoPEGylated, recombinant FVIIa: a 3-month, double-blind, randomized trial of safety, pharmacokinetics and preliminary efficacy in hemophilia patients with inhibitors. Ljung R, Karim FA, Saxena K, Suzuki T, Arkhammar P, Rosholm A, Giangrande P. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 11: 1260-1268 (2013)
26. Haemophilia care in Europe-a survey of 35 countries. O’Mahony B, Noone D, Giangrande PL, Prihodova L. Haemophilia 19: e239-247 (2013)
27. Present and future challenges in the treatment of haemophilia: the patient’s perspective. Arcieri R, Molinari AC, Farace S, Mazza G, Garnero A, Calizzani G, Giordano P, Oliovecchio E, Mantovani L, Manzoli L, Giangrande P. Blood Transfusion 11 Suppl. 4: s82-85 (2013)
28. Kreuth III: European consensus proposals for treatment of haemophilia with coagulation factor concentrates. Giangrande P, Seitz R, Behr-Gross ME, Berger K, Hilger A, Klein H, Schramm W, Mannucci PM. Haemophilia 20: 322-325 (2014)
29. The European standards of Haemophilia Centres. Giangrande P, Calizzani G, Menichini I, Candura F, Mannucci PM, Makris M. Blood Transfusion 12 (Suppl. 3): s525-s530 (2014)
30. The methodology for defining the European Standards for the certification of Haemophilia Centres in Europe. Candura F, Menichini, I Calizzani G, Giangrande P, Mannucci PM, Makris M. Blood Transfusion 12 (Suppl. 3): s519-s524 (2014)
(b) Book chapters:
1. Air travel and thrombosis: Giangrande PLF. In: Air quality and airplane cabins and similar enclosed spaces. Ed. MB Hocking (Springer, 2005)
2. Giangrande PLF. Pregnancy in women with inherited bleeding disorders. In: Haemorrhage and Thrombosis for the MRCOG and beyond. Ed. Harper A (RCOG Press, 2005)
3. Side-effects of hemostatic drugs" Giangrande PLF. In: Meyler's Side-Effects of Drugs, (2000 and 2006)
4. Haematology: Giangrande PLF In: Ernsting’s Aviation Medicine Ed. J. Ernsting (Hodder Arnold, 2006). Revised chapter recently submitted in 2013 for forthcoming new edition.
5. Molecular basis of haemophilia. Giangrande PLF. In: Molecular haematology (Blackwells 2010)
6. Venous thrombosis: Giangrande PLF. Conn’s current Therapy (2010)
7. Treatment of bleeding in FVIII inhibitor patients. Giangrande PLF & Teitel J. In: Current and future issues in hemophilia care. Wiley-Blackwell (2011)
8. Haemoglobinopathies: Giangrande PLF. In: Oxford Textbook of Trauma and Orthopaedics. (Second edition). Oxford University Press (2011)
9. Control of intravascular thrombosis. Giangrande PLF. In: Tutorials in endovascular neurosurgery and interventional neuroradiology. Springer (2012)
10. Orthopaedic surgery in patients with inhibitors: the perspective of a haematologist (translated into Portuguese). Giangrande PLF. In: Ortopedia e fisioterapia em hemofilia. Pacheco L & Wolff A. Manole (2013)
11. Plasma-derived coagulation factor concentrates. Giangrande PLF. In: Textbook of Haemophilia (Wiley 2014).