Dominique de Ziegler, MD
Born in Nice France, Dom de Ziegler was raised in the USSR (Moscow), Egypt (Cairo) and New York City, where finished the French High School curriculum (Baccalaureate).
Dom went to medical school in Geneva and subsequently returned to the US to undertake a research fellowship at Mt Sinai Hospital in New York (Erlio Gurpide) followed by Residency and Clinical Fellowship at the UCLA medical center in Los Angeles, California. At UCLA, Dom trained under JG Moore, Bill Dignam, and during the Fellowship Howard L Judd, David R Meldrum and R Jeffery Chang.
In Paris and New York,
Dom directed Research and Fellowship for Columbia Laboratories. There, he primarily worked on the development of the vaginal progesterone gel Crinone, unveiling the existence of direct vagina to uterus transport phenomenon, or first Uterine Pass Effect (FUPE).
In Geneva, Switzerland:
Starting in 2000, Dom was in Geneva where he directed the division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the university hospital (HUG), later fused with the same at Lausanne (CHUV).
Currently, at University Paris Descartes – Hôpital Cochin, Paris France:
Dom heads the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at University Descartes – Hôpital Cochin in the dept of Obtetrics and Gynecology chaired by Charles Chapron. Together with Charles, Dom has exploited the unique model constituted by women affected by ovarian endometriosis for challenging the current views on ovarian reserve, ART out come and the fecundity of women.
1. de Ziegler D, Borghese B, Chapron C. Endometriosis and infertility: pathophysiology and management. Lancet 2010;376:730-8.
2. de Ziegler D, Gayet V, Aubriot FX, et al. Use of oral contraceptives in women with endometriosis before assisted reproduction treatment improves outcomes. Fertility and sterility 2010;94:2796-9.
3. de Ziegler D, Streuli I, Meldrum DR, Chapron C. The value of growth hormone supplements in ART for poor ovarian responders. Fertility and sterility 2011;96:1069-76.
4. de Ziegler D, de Mouzon J, Fauque P, et al. Multiplying recipients paired with oocyte donors optimizes the use of donated oocytes. Fertility and sterility 2011;95:1633-8.
5. de Ziegler D, Streuli I, Gayet V, Frydman N, Bajouh O, Chapron C. Retrieving oocytes from small non-stimulated follicles in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): in vitro maturation (IVM) is not indicated in the new GnRH antagonist era. Fertility and sterility 2012;98:290-3.
6. Streuli I, de Ziegler D, Gayet V, et al. In women with endometriosis anti-Mullerian hormone levels are decreased only in those with previous endometrioma surgery. Hum Reprod 2012;27:3294-303.
7. Streuli I, de Ziegler D, Santulli P, et al. An update on the pharmacological management of endometriosis. Expert opinion on pharmacotherapy 2013;14:291-305.
Address: Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Univ Paris Descartes-Hôpital Cochin, Paris, France E-mail:
D. de Ziegler, MD. Feb 7, 2013.