CAROLE P. McARTHUR
Truman Medical Center: Department of Pathology,
Truman Medical Center,
2301 Holmes Rd,
Kansas City, MO 64108
Current Position: Professor,
Director, AfriHealth Partnerships International,
Department of Oral and Craniofacial Science,
University of Missouri-Kansas City And professor,
Department of Pathology.
1991-97 Truman Medical Center, Kansas City. Combined medical residency in Clinical and Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology.
1987-91 University of Missouri-Kansas City, Doctor of Medicine (MD).
1980-81 Introductory Electronics, King Edward Technical College, Dunedin, New Zealand
1974-77 University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand. Doctor of Philosophy (Field : Immunology). Thesis: "Immunopathology of the host-parasite relationship in New Zealand freshwater eels.
1970-73 University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Bachelor of Science (Honors, 1st Class, summa cum laude) (Zoology). Thesis:
“Studies on the larval trematodes of Tomahawk Lagoon"
Honors and Academic Awards:
2013 UNESCO academy of scientists TWAS award to provide translational research expertise at the University of Western Cape, Cape Town, SA. 7th February, 2013.
2012 University of Missouri School of Dentistry Annual Recognition Award for Research
2011 University of Missouri School of Dentistry Annual Recognition Award for Service.
2010 Kansas City 10th WOW (“Woman of Worth”) award received for community contributions and activism for health care reform and for Foundation of an HIV/AIDS/TB Clinic in Cameroon, Africa. Received from OWL, a National grass roots organization focusing on the well-being of women. Webster House, 1644 Wyandotte, Kansas City.
2009 (Oct) UMSAEP Research Partnership travel grant to University of Western Cape in South
Africa. Gave two presentations at University of Western Cape in Department of Medical Health Sciences and in Traditional Medicine.
2005 Science Fellow Award. International Academy of Science for contributions to the study of retroviruses. Awarded, December 31st, 2005 at Science Mountain in Independence, MO.
2005 Traditional Medicine Award for Distinguished and Meritorious Service in HIV/AIDS Research from the Republic of Cameroon, Yaounde 13th September, 2005. Conferred by the National Co-coordinator of the Census of Tradipractitiioners of Cameroon, Sir Daniel Lantum.
2005 “UMKC Entrepreneur for the Year 2004”
2004 Appointed to Empire “Who’s who” Honors Edition 2004-2005
2002 School of Dentistry, Annual Recognition Award for Research (September, 2002)
2001 University of Missouri Faculty Honoree for Research (Oct 1, 2001)
2001 School of Dentistry, Annual Recognition Award for Research (September, 2001)
2000 Lester William Burket Award for Outstanding Presentation in Oral Medicine (Fleming)
2000 School of Dentistry Annual Recognition Award for Research (September, 2000)
2000 University of Missouri Faculty nomination for an Outstanding Service Award.
2000 University of Missouri Faculty Honoree for Research (October, 2000)
1999 School of Dentistry Annual Recognition Award for Research (September 9, 1999)
1999 University of Missouri Faculty Honoree for Research (Oct 1, 1999)
1995 American Medical Association Burroughs Wellcome Outstanding Leadership Award (March 1, 1995).
1995 Missouri Association of Social Welfare Annual Legislative Advocacy Award Central United Methodist Church, Kansas City, Missouri (June 1, 1995).
1994 Greater Kansas City Pathologic Society Research Award. First Place (April 23, 1994)
1994 University of Missouri Faculty Nomination for Outstanding Service Award. (September, 1994)
1991 University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine Student-Faculty Research Days, Acknowledgment of Excellence
1977 Medical Research Council of New Zealand two year Traveling Fellowship to the USA
1974 Postgraduate scholarship from New Zealand University Grants Committee
1973 First class honors in Zoology (summa cum laude)
1973 SA teaching fellowship to Sarawak (declined)
Funding History: Vaccine, Therapeutic and Diagnostic Device Trials :
1. Principal investigator, 1984-85, on "Evaluation of potential vaccine agents for avian coccidiosis" Funded by Hoffman LaRoche. $34,000.
2. Principal investigator, 1985, on "Specific antibody-directed chemotherapy of canine dirofilariasis; Phase I, a feasibility study to identify target antigens on adult parasites." Funded by Neogen Corporation. $55,000.
3. Principal Investigator, 1985, "A recombinant DNA glycoprotein vaccine against Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus and the development of monoclonal antibody diagnostic probes for FRV antigens." Funded by the NIH. $42,000.
4. Principal Investigator, 1985, "Production of Monoclonal Antibody diagnostic probes defining plant mycoplasma membrane epitopes." Funded by MSU Biotech Research Center. $28,000.
5. Co-Investigator, 1988, "Serologic diagnosis of oral treponemas." Funded by U.S. Navy. $210,000.
6. Co-Investigator, 1988, "Immunologic definition of Pathogenic Oral Pathogens." NIH, $687,303.
7. Principal Investigator, 1991, Equipment grant, $5,500, Rinehart Foundation.
8. Principal Investigator, 1992, "Immunopathology of the Cytoskeleton and Serologic Responses in Autoimmune MRL/1pr-1pr Mice", UMKC Faculty Research Grant, $4,000.
9. Principal Investigator, 1993, "The Role of Laminin in Minor Salivary Gland Disease in Sjögrens Syndrome" Sarah Morrison Foundation $4,000
10. Consultant Physician, 1993, "A 12-month Multicenter, Double-Blind Placebo-controlled Trial with a 12-Month Open Label Extension Evaluating the Effect of Low Dose Doxycycline on Attachment Level in Patients with Periodontitis," Killoy WJ, Rapley JW, Yonke M, Ridenhour L, McArthur C. Collagenex, N.J. $217,000.
11. Principal Investigator, (1994) "Electron Microscopic Localization of Salivary Gland Laminin in Connective Tissue Disease." Sarah Morrison Foundation ($6000)
12. Principal Investigator (1994)"Campaign for Womens Health in Missouri"
Ms. Foundation ($2,000)
13. Principal Investigator. (1995-1996) "Exocrine Gland Immunopathology," $220,146. NIH
14. Sponsor. "Sjögrens Syndrome and HIV: Basement Membrane Expression" Daniels P, McArthur C , Narayan O, Cobb C, Kragel P. Fox P. NIH $336,523 (Direct Costs).
15. McArthur C, Bamberger D and Rothberg Paul (1997) “Basement Membrane Gene Expression in Salivary Gland Disease”. Sarah Morrison $14,000.
16. McArthur C, Rothberg P, Heruth P, Howard P, Abdou N, Palmer D and Bamberger DA. Laminin Expression in Salivary Gland Disease. Arthritis Foundation Biomedical Science Grant $269,000 Direct costs.
17. McArthur C. Alcon Laboratories, Houston TX. Support for field Mission in Cameroon June, 2000 $11,933.10.
18. McArthur C. Alcon Laboratories, Houston, TX support for field Mission in Cameroon December, 2000. $10,133.70.
19. McArthur C. and Hertz Elisabeth. Ophthalmic Innovations, International, 4290 East Bicknell, California. USA, 91761. $15,000 June 2000.
20. McArthur C A Molecular Characterization of HIV Subgroups in Cameroon. Abbott Laboratories Jan 1 1999 -Dec 31, 2000, $305,000.
21. McArthur C. Ophthalmic Innovations International, 4290 East Bicknell St, Ontario, California, USA. 91761. $ 14,253 April 11, 2001
22. McArthur C. A Molecular Characterization of HIV subgroups in Cameroon. Evaluation of the Determine Diagnostic assay for HIV I/II Abbott Laboratories Jan 1 2001-Dec 31 2002. $120,000 (Direct Costs).
23. McArthur Carole. Field Evaluation of Novel Immunoassay to detect Plasmodium falciparum. Abbott Laboratories.2001-2002 $60,000.
24. McArthur C. Ophthalmic Innovations International, April, 2003. $14,000.
25. McArthur C. and Hertz Elisabeth. Alcon Laboratories, Houston, TX. Support for eye clinic at
26. Becton Dickenson, Kansas City. 2003 Laboratory Support for US-Cameroon Health Program.
27. McArthur Carole. HIV Genetic Susceptibility in Cameroon. 2002 University of Texas
28. McArthur Carole. HIV Genetic Susceptibility in Cameroon. May 2002 University of Texas
contract with UPA/TMC. $43,000.
29. McArthur Carole. HIV Genetic Susceptibility in Cameroon. May 2003 University of Texas
contract UPA/TMC $20,000
30. McArthur Carole. HIV Genetic Susceptibility in Cameroon. August 2004, University of
31. McArthur Carole. Molecular characterization of HIV subgroups in Cameroon. Evaluation of
a HIV I/II diagnostic test. Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago.
Laboratories. July 2004 $40,000
32. McArthur Carole. Development of a diagnostic assay for TB based on saliva. May 2005, US
Naval Institute of Dental and Biomedical Research Grant. $153, 000.
33. McArthur Carole. Evaluation of a rapid diagnostic assay for TB in biological fluids March
2006-2007 Chemogen Corporation, Portland, ME. $32,000.
34. McArthur Carole. Diagnostic Markers for Tuberculosis in Body Fluids. December 2006-
2007 Proteomics Systems ($70,000)
35. McArthur Carole. Studies on HIV-associated ocular disease. Alcon Laboratories. $20.060
36. McArthur Carole. Studies on HIV-associated ocular disease. Alcon laboratories. $15,000
37. McArthur Carole. Diagnostic Markers for Tuberculosis in Body fluids. Proteome Systems
($70,000) Jan 2008-9
38. McArthur Carole. Diagnostic Markers for TB #2. Proteome Systems, Sydney Australia.
December 2009-10 $ (32,000).
39. McArthur Carole. Infrastructure Development for AfriHealth Partnerships. 2009. $60,000
40. McArthur Carole. Diagnostic Markers for TB. Tyrian Diagnostics, Sydney, Australia.
October 2009 ($28,000 funded). August 2009-Dec 2010
41. Kumar S and McArthur Carole (Co-investigator). Tobacco/Nicotine, Cytochrome P450 and
HIV-1. NIH R-21 ($444.280) 2011-2013
42. McArthur Carole, Parish N, Barnard M. “Field Evaluation of the TREK phenotypic
diagnostic system for TB 1st and 2nd line drugs compared with the Gold Standard of Modified
Agar Proportion” Trek Diagnostic Systems, Cleveland, ILL $ 100,000 June 2010-June 2013.
Carried out at the National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS) in Cape Town, South
43. McArthur Carole and Bristow C.“Development of a Point of care Assay for CD4 HIV
markers of Disease in Cameroon”. $5,000 (Jan 2011-Dec 2011).
44. McArthur Carole.(PI)“Multicenter Evaluation of the QBC FAST Malaria and ParaLens
Advance LED Microscope Attachment for the Detection of Malaria in an Endemic Area”
QBC Diagnostic Systems. Penn. $15,000 Jan 2011-Dec 2013.
45. McArthur Carole. “Field Evaluation of the TREK phenotypic diagnostic system for
Candida 1st and 2nd line drugs” $100,000.ThermoFisher Scientific August, 2012-July 2013.
46. McArthur Carole (PI)Thrasher Foundation,” Improved HIV outcomes in Pediatric cases
through POC CD4 Count Monitoring”. $497,000 (not funded)
47. McArthur Carole: PI NIH RO-1 “Improved Biomarkers for Autoimmune Disease
Diagnosis and Therapy” $2,099,491 (NIDCR) NF… to be resubmitted
48. McArthur PI NIH RO-1 Improved drug susceptibility testing for MDR/XDRTB
49. McArthur Carole (PI) Arthritis Foundation (PI) “Therapeutic signaling pathways in
Sjögren’s Syndrome”. $199,994 (Approved for Funding) 07/01/09-02/01/11
50. NCAM (PI) “Indigenous Propolis Synergizes with Western drugs and Shortens TB therapy”.
$400.000 (Fed Stimulus -not funded)
Ongoing Research Support
University of Kansas Frontiers Clinical Translational Science Award (10%) McArthur (PI) 3/2014-2/2015
“Longitudinal Validation of Salivary Alpha-1 Proteinase Inhibitor versus Blood CD4”. The goal of this study is to validate the relationship between CD4 count over time, in the presence and absence of ART, in 42 HIV patients in Cameroon.
“Tobacco, Nicotine, Cytochrome P450 and HIV-01 (R21) McArthur (Co-I) 6/1 2011-5/1/2014
The goal of this study was determine the impact of smoking and alcohol on HIV replication and the immune system in 80 HIV patients in Cameroon.
QBC Diagnostic Company.
“Multicenter Evaluation of the QBC FAST Malaria and Paralens Advance Microscope attachment for the detection of malaria in an endemic area”. McArthur (PI) 8/1/2011-5/1/2013
The goal of this study is to compare traditional Giemsa stating of malaria with the QBC stain in a blinded clinical study carried out in Cameroon with PCR conformation and sequencing at UMKC.
Recent grant applications
Grant Peer Reviewer:
NIAID Clinical Trials network 2013
CTSA Frontier’s Awards and Leid Grants (University of Kansas Medical Center) 2012
NIH NIAID HIV/AIDS and Global Health study sections 2012
NIH (NIAMS and NIDCR) ad hoc reviewer
US Army Medical Research and Material Command (USAMRMC) Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP), a Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP).
Clinical Immunology Study Section for Arthritis Foundation
Ad Hoc Reviewer for the Sjogren’s Syndrome Foundation
Ad Hoc Reviewer for the Sjogren’s Syndrome Association
Kansas City University of Health Sciences
University of Missouri Research Board 2013-
Journal Peer Reviewer
2011- Reviewer for International Journal of Dentistry
African Journal of Plant Science
Archives of Oral Biology Editorial Board
Head and Neck
2009- Reviewer for Jl of Cytology
2008- Reviewer for Jl Experimental Biology
2008- Reviewer for Jl Biological Chemistry
2007- Reviewer for Jl of Virology and International Jl Feto-maternal Research
2003- International Editorial Advisory Board, Archives of Oral Biology
Professional Experience and Service:
2014-16 UM System Faculty Committee on Tenure (Appointed by President Wolfe).
2013- UMKC Faculty Senate Executive Committee (Elected by UMKC faculty)
2013 UMKC Inter-Faculty Council (IFC) representative (Elected)
2012-14 UM System Faculty Committee on Tenure (Appointed by President Forsee).
2012 Consultant for WHO UNITAID on diagnostic products for resource-limited environments (April-present)
2011 October 20-25th, Nigerian Ministry Of Health invited guest to Zaria to review the Gene Xpert and TB Reference facility.
2010 Member of a WHO European-US Consortium: Dr Andrew Ramsay Ph.D (WHO)., (Chair), Dr Richard Anthony and Dr Paul Moussay, WHO; Professor Carole McArthur, Ph.D.,M.D, (UMKC/ API Lab in Cameroon); Professor Stephen Gillespie, Director of Translational Research at St Andrews College in Scotland; Professor Paul Klatzer Ph.D., Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam, Netherlands;Professor Gerd Pluschke, Ph.D, Head Med. Parasitology / Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute , CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland.
2010 UMKC Faculty Senate IFC (Elected)
2008- Faculty Senate Executive Committee.(Elected)
2009- Member STOP TB Partnership’s International Diagnostic Working Group. UNICEF/UNDP/WORLD BANK/ WHO special program for research and training in tropical diseases.
2009- Member WHO Member Culture working group.
2008- 2010 Secretary, UMKC Faculty Senate (Elected)
2008- Member of UMKC HIPPA Board
2008- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Buea, Cameroon.
2004- Professor, Department of Oral Biology, UMKC School of Dentistry
2004- Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology, Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO 64108
2003-2006 UMKC Campus Budget Committee.
2001- Adjunct Associate Professor, Center for Women’s Studies, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
1999- Co-Director of Pathology Residency Research, Pathology Department, Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO. 64108.
1997- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
1997- Adjunct Clinical Professor, UMKC School of Medicine.
1997-present Director, US-Cameroon Health Program, now AfriHealth Partnerships International (API), UMKC School of Dentistry, 650 E 25th St, Kansas City, MO 64108. US-CAM is a humanitarian and research effort to reduce HIV transmission in Developing Countries, especially Africa where Dr McArthur has developed a laboratory for HIV and TB screening and carrying out clinical trials. US-CAM is funded by donations of medical supplies and grants from various organizations in the US including the business sector which obtains access to rare patient cohorts and tissues to evaluate diagnostic tools and drugs.
1991-97 Pathology Residency, Pathology Department, Truman Medical Center,
(Concurrent) 2301 Homes Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64108.
1991- UMKC Doctoral Faculty Member
1991- UMKC Graduate Faculty Member
1991-04 Associate Professor, Department of Oral Biology, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry, Kansas City, Missouri.
1987-91 University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine- (August, Advanced placement).
1986-88 Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago. Director of the monoclonal antibody facility producing reagents for the detection of abused and therapeutic drugs (Theophylline, barbiturates, PCP, cyclosporine, amphetamines, digoxin). Responsible for planning, development and evaluation of diagnostic assays for therapeutic quantification of theophylline and digoxin. This role required the presentation of progress reports for 3 collaborative scientific teams (immunology, biochemistry, chemistry), development of budgets and scientific proposals and interaction with the marketing division to meet deadlines.
1985-1986 Assistant Professor, Pesticide Research Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. Expertise in genetic engineering was required to design and develop diagnostic reagents for use in detection of mycoplasmas causing plant diseases and insect hydroxylases responsible for pesticide resistance. Monoclonal antibodies against Spiroplasma citri were produced and utilized to investigate the mechanism of pathogenicity. Concurrently Dr McArthur consulted for Abbott and Recomtex corporation. In her role for Recomtex she led a team of scientists developing a method to detect fetal trophoblasts in the blood of pregnant women. To develop this technique she synthesized and characterized monoclonal antibodies and selected cells by flow cytometry. Evolving from this project were reagents for diagnosis of choriocarcinoma in histological sections.
(Concurrent) Scientific Director of Probe-tek, a biotechnology corporation in East Lansing, MI. Directed the research and development of diagnostic reagents for application in veterinary and human medicine. Responsible for hiring and training of employees, writing scientific proposals, developing licensing agreements and quality control of in-house assays. During this period Dr McArthur developed and characterized a number of monoclonal antibody based immunoassays to detect viruses, bacteria, toxins and proteins. Among these was an assay for estrone sulfate using a sheep polyclonal antiserum which was marketed as a pregnancy test in goats. Dr McArthur also directed the evaluation of several diagnostic products under contract. Among these was a monoclonal-based ELISA for the detection of the D-dimer of fibrin to detect the pre-thrombotic state in human medicine. (Contractual arrangement with Mabco, Australia, Ltd). Her group also carried out the clinical trials of the D-dimer assay prior to its marketing in the U.S. by Dade Laboratories. To examine the immunogenicity of cloned coccidial gene products for Roche Laboratories, Dr McArthur supervised the development of cellular immunoassays in chickens. She also planned and orchestrated anthelminthic trials in sheep carried out under contract for Merke Sharpe and Dohm.
1982-1984 Research Associate in Microbiology and Tropical Diseases, School of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan and Director of the first University Based biotechnology company (Neogen) driven by faculty expertise. Produced and developed monoclonal antibodies for application in human and veterinary medicine. Evaluated a diagnostic assay developed by MabCo in Australia to detect canine heartworm. This was purchased and marketed by Miles Laboratories. The specificity testing of this assay required the characterization of canine Dirofilaria immitis antigens and human Onchocerca volvulus antigens in Sudanese patients. I also provided the standardized radioimmunoassays for the detection of antibodies against Trichomonas vaginalis, malaria and trypanosomes for collaborative faculty projects. The development of a novel technique for obtaining specific monoclonal antibodies from predominantly cross-reactive serum was a valuable invention. In terms of laboratory tools Dr McArthur designed a prototype for cutting microtiter plates in immunoassays which was patented and marketed by Michigan State University.
1981-1982 Research Associate in Molecular Biology, Department of Microbiology and Public Health, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan. Immunochemical characterization of HLA-DR antigens upon human lymphocytes by affinity chromatography utilizing monoclonal antibody probes and SDS PAGE. Obtained experience in genomic cloning techniques.
1979-1981 Research Officer, Department of Surgery, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand. Established a core hybridoma facility directed towards the production of monoclonal antibody reagents intended for application within the University research environment. Antigens included a variety of viruses (influenza, herpes), enzymes (C-AMP) and other proteins (Casein II, thyroglobulin), including glycoproteins from human spermatozoa. Developed and standardized a numerous immunoassays including an ELISA for the detection of HY antigen on mammalian cells.
1977-1979 Postdoctoral Fellowship (immunogenetics).Tumor biology unit, Pathology Department, University of Florida, Gainesville. Experience in congenic murine genetics and the development of cellular immunoassays to detect immunity to murine fibrosarcoma cells. Developed skill in tissue culture, methylcholanthrine induced murine tumors and in the production of monoclonal antibodies against tumor antigens.
Workshops and Conferences:
2009 STOP TB Working Group at Union World TB and Lung Disease meeting in Cancun, Mexico. December 1-7th, 2009.
2008 TB Alliance clinical trial review September-October Mezam Polyclinic HIV/AIDS Center, Bamenda, Cameroon.
2008 Immunopotentiators in Modern Vaccines. 21-23 May, Montego Bay, Jamaica.
2008 TB Vaccines of the World 9-11 April, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia.
2007 Workshop Moderator for Health section “Building a sustainable community through multicultural solidarity” November 2-3, 2007 Reardon Center, KC, Ks.
2007 Infectious Disease Society of America, October 4-7th, San Diego 3 CME Credits
2007 Immune Mediated Diseases, from Theory to Therapy September 10-15, 2007 Moscow, Russia (37 CME credits)
2004 HIV/AIDS traditional healer field study at Mbokam with the Fon of Mbokam.
2003 HIV/AIDS traditional plant conservation workshop in Banso at Nso palace with traditional healers.
2002 HIV/AIDS Sterilization workshop at Djoungolo Presbyterian hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon.
2001 HIV/AIDS education workshop with hospital personnel at Akwa, Douala, Cameroon.
1999 HIV/AIDS education workshop at Banso, Cameroon with traditional healers of the North West Province.
1998 HIV/AIDS education workshop in Bamenda, Cameroon in collaboration with the National Islamic Schools.
1997 HIV/AIDS education workshop at Shisong Hospital Nursing School in Cameroon.
1980 Monoclonal antibody workshop (University of Otago Medical School, NZ).
1984 Monoclonal antibody workshop (Michigan State University, East Lansing).
1978 -79 Teaching assistant in Mathematics and Statistical Methods at Knox College, University of Otago, New Zealand
1972-1975 Laboratory Instructor in Zoology (comparative physiology).
1985 Donna Lavallie D.O.
1991-93 Matt McLaughlan DDS
1994 Jennifer Schrader M.D.
1996 Angela Walker
1996-98 Sokhansanj A
1997- Kerri Lawlor
1998 Tom Nittler M.D.
1998 Melody Stone M.D.
2003 Nida Luangjamakorn DDS
2006 Sayani Yassi Ph.D.
2008 Jennifer Kramer M.D. (Cameroon)
2009 Mathew Hardin DDS
2009 Kyle Boyce DDS
2008-9 Mwamba Malakani M.D.
2010- Eve Lofthus BS (Dental student)
Pedro Abrantes (UWC)
Marinus Barnard (Stellenbosh)
2011- Sanna Yousuf DDS
2011 Rima Chatraborty M.D
Master of Science:
1991 William Giannobile DDS (Advisor)
1992-94 Patrick Daniels DDS (Chair, Mentot)
1997-8 Lien Dau (Committee Member).
1999-03 Hongmei Ming (Pharmacy) Committee Member
1998-2000 Nagamani DDS who went to Temple (Mentor)
1999 Purnima Shahani DDS (Mentor)
2000 Dexter Fleming DDS (Mentor) Outstanding Award in Oral Medicine.
2002-2003 Nadeem Nadal DDS (Mentor) Outstanding Master of Science Award.
2010 - 2012 Pedro Abrantes M.Sc.
Doctor of Philosophy Committees
2012- Anusha Ande “ Role of cytochrome P450 enzymes on smoking mediated
oxidative stress in monocytes and astrocytes: Implications with HIV-infected
2009 - Pedro Abrantes (External examiner) “Characterization of fluconizole-resistant Candida species from the oral cavity of HIV-positive patients”. External examiner for the University of Western Cape in Cape Town, South Africa.
2010-12 Claude Bayingana (External examiner) “An investigation of the association between periodontal disease and their inflammatory cytokines, and preterm delivery of low birth weight infants.” University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa.
2007- 2010 Justine Ongey, Ph.D. Committee member ABT (Cameroon)
2006- 2010 Henry Meriki, Ph.D. Committee member ABT (Cameroon)
2004-2007 Yang Wang, Ph.D. (Mentor/Chair)
1994-1999 Patrick Daniels (Mentor/Chair)
1997-99 Nona Fox (Mentor/Chair. ABT.
1980-81 Gil Elliott (Committee)
1980-81 Saroj Sengupta MBBS.
1991-2 Cheow Khong Chang Ph.D.
1992-3 Mary Spratt Ph.D.
2000-2 Jhang Jianghong Ph.D. M.D.
2000-3 Patricia Veno Ph.D.
2004-8 Wang Yan Ph.D.
2002-6 Steven Gustafson D.O. (TMC/Cameroon)
2002-6 Daniel Dim M.D.
2002-6 Antonio Subtil-D’Oliveira M.D.
2005-7 Dan Lingamfelter D.O..
2004-8 Raja Gidwani M.D.
2006- Masha Nzabi M.D.,
2006-7 Victor Flauta M.D.,
2006- Seema Lale M.D.
2007- Charmi Patel M.D.,
2007-2009 William Wilson M.D.
22007- Brett Snodgrass M.D.
2007-2009 Chrisopher Warholic M.D. (KU/Cameroon)
2010- Luis Torres-Romero M.D.
2012- David Wade Ph.D.
May 2007 UMKC School of Medicine invited Judge for Student Research Days.
May 2008 UMKC School of Medicine invited Judge for Student Research Days.
May 2010 UMKC School of Medicine invited Judge for Student Research Days.
April 2012 UMKC School of Medicine invited Judge for Student Research Days.
April 2013 UMKC School of Medicine invited Judge for Student Research Days.
November 21st, 2013 Kansas City University of Biosciences Annual Research Symposium Judge.
International Research and Consulting:
2013 August 6-23. Consultant at University of Western Cape in Cape Town, South Africa
supported by a TWAS visiting scientist award from UNESCO. Established a collaboration with
the University of Cape Town to obtain Candida clinical samples for Biofilm studies.
2012 December 1st- December 12th, visiting scientist to South Africa to establish Biofilm
Studies funded by Biofilm Control (Clermont Ferrand, France). Established an instrument at
Stellenbosch in Rob Warren’s lab and at University of Western Cape in Dr Charlene Africa’s lab
where we will study virulence factors in TB and vaginal biofilm respectively.
2012 November 8th-November 30th, NIH HIV/AIDS collaborative clinical study in Bamenda,
Cameroon at Mezam Polyclinic HIV/AIDS Research Center (Dr. Santosh Kumar collaborator).
2011 November 29-Dec 6th National Health Laboratory Service/Stellenbosch collaborative
project review in Cape Town, South Africa. Evaluation of the TREK TB dst and Line Probe for
MDR/XDR TB. Review of the study with Dr Charlene Africa in the Department of Medical
Biosciences at University of Western Cape on drug resistant Candida albicans from SA and
2011 October 27th-November 28th. NIH-funded Clinical smoking study in Cameroon.
2011 October 20-25th, Nigerian Ministry Of Health invited guest to Zaria to review the Gene
Xpert and TB Reference facility.
2011 28th June-July 29th. QBC malaria diagnostic studies and initiation of NIH clinical studies on
role of nicotine on HIV replication in Cameroon.
2010 November 1-21, Global Fund Review for Clinical Laboratory in Cameroon.
2009 September 18- October 1th TB/HIV Consultant to Mwandi Mission in Zambia.
2009 October 1-8th Presentations at the University of Western Cape in South Africa to meet with
Ph.D. students I am on committees of. Visited Dr Patrick Bouic, collaborator at
Stellenbosch University in Cape Town.
2008 September 2-23. TB Alliance site Review for Phase II/III Clinical trial. (Changed US-
Cameroon Health Program to AfriHealth Partnerships International)
2007 Nov 21-Dec 16th. Cameroon. Biocollections Worldwide HIV study,
Proteome Systems TB diagnostic Clinical Trial development and Evaluation.
2006 (Dec 25-Jan 9 2007). Cameroon. Proteome Systems TB diagnostic Test Clinical trial.
2006 Cameroon Chemogen TB Diagnostic clinical field trial completion.
2006 Cameroon Chemogen TB Diagnostic clinical laboratory trial
2005 Cameroon NIDBR TB salivary clinical trial
2005 Cameroon NIDBR TB salivary clinical trial
2004 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2004 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2003 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2003 Belgaum, India. Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College. HIV/TB consultant
2003 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2002 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2002 Cameroon HIV diagnostic clinical trial
2001 December 3- Cameroon HIV studies
2001 Cameroon HIV diagnostic trials
2000 Arusha, Tanzania (International Rotary) Leprosy and HIV clinical study consultant.
2000 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies
2000 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies
1999 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies
1999 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies
1998 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies
1998 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies. Established US-Cameroon Health program.
1997 Cameroon Abbott Laboratories HIV studies and Malaria clinical trial.
Consulting and Board Membership:
1997-2005 Director for Abbott Laboratories African HIV clinical field trial in Cameroon. “A Molecular Characterization of HIV Subtypes in the Northwest Province of Cameroon”.
2000- Consultant for International Rotary Health, Hunger and Humanity Project, 3H-107, Arusha, Tanzania in collaboration with Dr A. Moore from University of Guelph, Canada, Dr Dan Gregson, University of Western Ontario and Dr Godfrey Chamba, Arusha, Tanzania.
2003- Consultant Physician in the Pathology Department at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College for HIV/AIDS in Belgaum, Karnataka, India. Co-ordinated the establishment of the Roche Cobas Amplicor System for diagnosis of HIV/AIDS and Mycobacteria tuberculosis.
2005-2008 National Institute of Dental and Biomedical Research, Great Lakes, Chicago. Development and evaluation of a salivary diagnostic assay for Mycobacteria tuberculosis.
2006- 2007 Chemogen Corporation, Portland, ME. TB diagnostic assay development and evaluation of the LAM antigen in urine.
2006- Proteomic Systems, Sydney, Australia. Development and evaluation of a rapid TB diagnostic test for active and latent TB in sputum.
2007- 2008 Biocollections Worldwide, Miami FLA. “Characterization of HIV-1 rare variants.”
2008- Restalyst Company, Singapore. Development of POC Mycobacteria bovis assay for livestock in developing countries.
2010- QBC Diagnostic Company, Port Matilda Pennsylvania.
2011- Oasis Diagnostics, Seattle, WA. Salivary assay development and evaluation.
2011- Kentron Biotechnology, Karnataka, India. Board Member.
2011_ TREK Diagnostic Systems/Thermofisher Scientific. Evaluation of the Vision system for determination of drug resistance in Tuberculosis and Candida albicans.
2012- Biofilm Control, St Beauzire, France. Scientific Board Member. Evaluation of Antibiofilmogram technology to determine the virulence of microorganisms associated with medical and dental implants.
1. Missouri State Legislature. Provided expert testimony for Health and Safety Committee. Jefferson City, MO January 25, 1994.
2. Missouri State Legislature. Provided expert testimony for Health and Safety Committee regarding HB 50 sponsored by Representative Mary Groves Bland. February 28, 1995.
Community Memberships and Affiliation
2005 Board Member, Missouri Association of Social Welfare.
2002-05 Rotary Club, Chapter 13, Kansas City.
1993-present Member, Missouri Association for Social Welfare
1999- Board Member, Missouri Physicians for a National Health Program
1997- Board Member Missouri Coalition for a Single Payer System
1994-96 President, Missouri Coalition for a Single Payer System
1996-99 Vice-president Missouri Physicians for a National Health Program
1994-96 President, Missouri Physicians for a National Health Program
1994-96 Head, Missouri Campaign for Women's Health
1993-97 Board Member, Missouri Citizen Action
Professional Societies and Organizations:
Member, American Society of Microbiology (2013- )
Member, Infectious Disease Association of America (2008- ).
Member, Missouri Medical Association (1989-92)
Member, College of American Pathologists (1991- )
Member, American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1991-)
Member, American Medical Association (1991-97)
Member, International Association for Dental Research (1992- )
Member, Infectious Disease Society of America (2007-)
Member WHO Diagnostic Working Group (2009-)
Member WHO Culture Working Group (2009-)
Supervision of Masters, Ph.D. and post-doctoral fellows in immunology, molecular biology and pathology. Responsible for the development of specific immunology segments of courses for medical, nursing, pharmacy and dental students from 1993- 2007. Dr McArthur has developed and taught a wide variety of basic pathology segments for medical, pharmacy and nursing students and developed advanced courses in Immunopathology of Disease (BSC 5801, BSC 5802) in the School of Dentistry. She supervises and advises pathology Residents and is Director of Residency research in the pathology department at Truman Medical Center. Review of complicated medical cases with dental students in the dental clinic.
Peer-Reviewed Publications and Book Chapters:
1. McArthur, C.P. and Featherston, D.W., 1976. Suppression of egg production in the New Zealand freshwater snail Potomopyrgus antipodarum larval trematodes. N.Z.J. Zool. 3:35-38.
2. McArthur, C.P., 1976. First Entozoic recording of a trichodinid ciliate. In Protozoa: Ciliophora: Uraceolariidae in Fish. N.Z.J. Marine F.W. Res. 10:537-538.
3. McArthur, C.P., 1977. Hematology of the New Zealand freshwater eels Anquilla australis schmidtii and A. dieffenbachii. N.Z.J. Zool. 4:5-20.
4. McArthur, C.P., 1978. Humoral antibody production by New Zealand eels against the intestinal trematode Telogaster opisthorchis MacFarlane 1945. J. Fish. Dis. 6:377-387.
5. McArthur, C.P., 1978. Technical Hematology - A Review. J. Fish Dis. pp. 193.
6. Chauvenet, P.H., McArthur, C.P. and Smith, R.T., 1979. Demonstration in vitro cytotoxic T Cells with apparent specificity toward tumor-specific transplantation antigens on chemically-induced tumors. J. Immunol. 123:2575-2581.
7. Giles, R., McArthur C, and Clem, W.H., 1980. Studies on the intra-molecular heterogeneity of DNP binding by murine IgM antibodies using the hybridoma system. Proceedings of N.Z. Soc. Immunol.
8. McArthur, C.P., and Sengupta, S., 1981. Enzyme-lined immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the detection of hybridoma antibodies against the H-Y antigen on murine sperm. J. Immunol. Meth. 43:343-348.
9. Sengupta, S., McArthur, C.P., Mowbray, J.F., Williams, A., Heslop, B.F., and Clarke, A.M., 1981. Lymphoblast transformation induced by syngeneic cells in mice. Proceedings Univ. Otago Med. School. N.Z V59 1:26-28.
10. Sengupta, S., Mowbray, J.F., and McArthur, C.P. 1981. A simple method for the preparation of soluble HLA antigens from human sera. Proceedings Univ. Otago Med. School. N.Z. V59 2:56-58.
11. Sengupta, S., Sengupta, U. and McArthur, C.P., 1981. A simplified method for skin grafting mice. J. Lab. Sci.
12. McArthur, C.P. and Sengupta, S., 1981. The H-Y antigen: Detection of antibodies in rat serum. J. Immunoassay V2(2):163-164.
13. McArthur, C.P. and Sengupta, S., 1982. Antigenic mimicry of eel tissues by a myxosporidia parasite. Z. Parasitenkd. 66:249-255.
14. McArthur, C.P. and Sengupta, S., 1982. Rapid micromethod for the screening of antibodies against the trematode parasite Telogaster opisthorchis. J. Fish Dis. 5:67-70.
15 McArthur, C.P., Geary, A., and Williams, J.F., 1984. Onchocerciasis in Sudan: Radioimmunoprecipitation analysis of human antibody responses and development of monoclonal antibodies to major antigens. Amer. J. Trop. Med. Hyg.
16. McArthur, C.P., Geary, A., Schillhorn van Veen, T.W., and Williams, J.F., 1984. Dirofilariasis: Radioimmunoprecipitation analysis of canine antibody responses and development of monoclonal antibodies to major antigens of Dirofilaria Immitis. Amer. J. Vet. Res.
17. McArthur, C.P. and Geary, A.M., 1986. Development of an immunoassay for the determination of estrone sulfate: Application for pregnancy detection in goats. J.of Endocrinology 110(1) 133-6.
18. McArthur, C.P., 1986. Hy-associated antigen. In: Methods in Enzymatic Analysis. Verlag Chemie. 3rd. Ed. Vol. IX Proteins and Peptides. Bergmeyer, H.V. Ed.
19. Wentworth, B.B., Baselski, V., Doern, G., McArthur, C.P., Miller, J., Needham, C.A., Sewell, D.L., Diagnostic Procedures for Bacterial Infections. 1987. APHA. Chapter 39, "Microbial Antigen Detection."
20. Wentworth, B.B., Baselski, V., Doern, G., McArthur, C.P., Miller, J., Needham, C.A., Sewell, D.L., Diagnostic Procedures for Bacterial Infections. 1987. APHA. Chapter 40, "Chromatography for the Identification of Microorganisms.
21. Wentworth, B.B., Baselski, V., Doern, G., McArthur, C.P., Miller, J., Needham, C.A., Sewell, D.L., Diagnostic Procedures for Bacterial Infections. 1987. APHA. Chapter 41, "Nucleic Acid Probes."
22. McArthur, C.P., Fox N, and Kragel, P., 1993. Monoclonal antibody detection of laminin in minor salivary glands of patients with Sjogrens Syndrome, Jl of Autoimmunity, 6:649-661.
23. Fox, N.W. and McArthur, C.P., 1993. AIDS - A review and update, Archives of Family Medicine, 2:1068-1077.
24. McArthur CP (1994) Trends in New Zealand Health System. New Zealand Medical Journal. V 107(976), p160-
25. McArthur CP (1994) Editorial on Health Care Reform. Missouri Medicine Vol 81(9), 568
26. McArthur, C.P. Fiorella, R., and Saran, B.M., 1995. Rare Primary Signet Ring Carcinoma of the Pancreas, Missouri Medicine, Vol 94(6), 298-302
27. McArthur, C., Daniels P,Tishk M, and Mayberry W 1997 "Preliminary findings from application of a multivariate questionnaire to patients with Sjogren's Syndrome" Jl of Dental Research, 45,1, p62-65
28. McArthur, C.P, Daniels P, Kragel P and L. Julian Paul Howard (1997) Sjogrens Syndrome Salivary Gland Immunopathology: Increased Laminin Expression Precedes Lymphocytic Infiltration. Jl of Autoimmunity 10. 59-65
29. Jacobson JD, Mansoor AA, Mansfield ME, McArthur CP and LT Clement (1999)
30. Gonadotrophin-Releasing Hormone increases CD4 Positive Lymphocyte Numbers in and AIDS-like Animal Model. Allergy and Clinical Immunology
31. Daniels P, McArthur C, Wang Y, Rothberg P and Heruth Daniel (1999) Cytokine-mediated stimulation of Laminin Expression and Cell growth Arrest in a Human Sub-mandibular Gland Cell Line (HSG). Arch Oral Biol 44, 604-615
32. Daniels P, Gustafson S, French D, Wang Y, McArthur C and Depond (2000) “Interferon-mediated cell block in cell cycle and altered integrin expression in a differentiated salivary cell line (HSG) cultured on Matrigel.on cell cycle” Jl Interferon Cytokine Res. 20:1101-1109.
33. McArthur C, Anthonio Subtil-DeOliveira, Dennis Palmer, Russell Fiorella, Steven
Gustafson and Roberto Miranda (2000). ACharacteristics of Salivary Diffuse Lymphocytosis Syndrome (DILS) in Cameroon, West Africa: Ductal epithelial atypia. ( Arch Path Lab Med 124: 1773-1779).
34. McArthur C, Wang Y, Heruth D and Gustafson S (2001). Amplification of Extracellular Matrix and Oncogenes in Tat-transfected Human Salivary Gland Cell Lines (HSG): Increased Expression of Laminin, Fibronectin, Collagen I, Collagen III, and c-myc. (Arch Oral Biology 46, 545-555, 2001).
35. McArthur Carole, Wang Y, Zhang Jianghong, Veno Patricia, Virji Adi, Fiorella R. Intracellular Trafficking and surface expression of SSA (Ro), SSB/La, Poly(ADP- ribose) polymerase, á-fodrin autoantigens during apoptosis in Human Salivary Gland Cells (HSG) induced by TNF-á. Arch Oral Biology 47, 443-48,2002.
36. McArthur C, Africa C, Anthonio Subtil-DeOliveira, Charles Cobb, Dennis Palmer, William Castellani, Nida Luanjamakorn, Paul Howard, McLaughlan M, Steven Gustafson, R. Miranda. “Characteristics of Salivary Diffuse Lymphocytosis Syndrome (DILS) in African and Caucasian Americans”. J Oral Pathol Med 32, 544-51, 2003.
37. Wilhelm Frank, Hertz Elisabeth, McArthur Carole and Cornelia Werschnik. HIV-Pravalenz bei ophthalmologischen Patienten in Kamerun. ( Ophthmaloge 9, 941-943, 2004)
38. Bodelle P, Vallari A, Coffey R, McArthur C, Devare SG, Beyeme M and Brennan CA. Identification and Genomic Sequence of an HIV-1 Group N isolate from Cameroon. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. Vol 20, 8, 900-906, 2004
39. Yamaguchi J, Bodelle P, Vallari Ana, Coffey R, McArthur Carole, Devare Sushil and Catherine Brennan. HIV Infections in the Northwestern Cameroon: Identification of HIV-1 Group O and dual HIV-1 Type 1 Group M and Group O infections. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. Vol 20, 944-957, 2004
40. Moore S, Gullone E and McArthur C. Risk taking and HIV/AIDS among young people in Cameroon: Prediction of vulnerability using the adolescent risk taking questionnaire. Social Behavior and Personality V32 (3), 2004
41. Xavier K, Depond W, McArthur Carole. Oncocerca volvulus breast nodule in a Cameroonian girl. Missouri Medicine vol 101 (6), p608, 2004.
42. Wang Y, Virji A, Zhiang, McArthur Carole “Detection of cleaved alpha Fodrin in Sjogren’s Syndrome: Apoptosis and Co-localization of alpha Fodrin with Activated Caspase 3 and cleaved PARP in the labial salivary glands. (Archives in Oral Biology, 51, 558-566 2006).
43. HIV-1 Group N: Evidence for ongoing Transmission in Cameroon. Yamaguchi J, McArthur Carole, Vallari Ana, Coffey R, Bodelle P, Beyeme M, Schochetman G, Devare S, Brennan C. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. AIDS Research and Human retroviruses, Vol 22, (5), 2006.
44. Kulkarni H, Marconi VC, Agan BK, McArthur C, Crawford G, Clark RA, Dolan MJ, Ahuja
SK.Role of CCL3L1-CCR5 genotypes in the epidemic spread of HIV-1 and evaluation of
vaccine efficacy.(PLoS ONE. 2008;3(11):e3671. Epub (2008 Nov 7)
45. Wang Y, Shnyra A, Africa C, Warholic C and Carole McArthur. “Activation of the
extrinsic apoptotic pathway by TNF-α in Human Salivary Gland (HSG) cells in
vitro,suggests a role for the TNF-receptor (TNF-R) and Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1
(ICAM-1) in Sjogren’s Syndrome-Associated autoimmune sialadenitis. Archives of Oral
Biology (July 31, 2009).
46. Vallari A, Bodelle P, Ngansop C, Makamche F, Ndembi N, Mbanya D, Kaptué L, Gürtler
LG, McArthur CP, Devare SG, Brennan CA. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2010 Jan;
47. McArthur Carole, Noeske Juergen and Parrish Nicole. Chapter 22 HIV/TB Co-infection: A
political call to action. In: HIV/AIDS in the Post HAART Era. John and Brian Hall Eds.
Published by Peoples Publishing Company.2011
48. Eloise Rathbone-McCuan, Eve Lofthus and Carole McArthur. Chapter 27 “AIDS and Sex
Work” In HIV/AIDS in the Post-HAART Era. John and Brian Hall Eds. 2011
49. Bristow C, Babayeva B, Modarresi R, McArthur Carole, Kumar Santosh, Awasom Charles,
Ayuk Leo, Njinda Achu Paul and Ronald Winston. The α test: Rapid Cell-Free CD4 enumeration using whole saliva. 2012 Journal of Visualized Experiments. J Vis Exp. 2012 May 16; (63).
50. Clara Lema, Kim Dionne, Karen Carroll, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awasom,
Paul Achuand Nicole Parrish. “Evaluation of the ParaLens™ LED Microscope Attachment Versus Standard Fluorescence Microscopy for Detection of Mycobacteria”. Journal of Tuberculosis Research. Vol 1, No 2. 2013.
51. Ande A, Kumar S, McArthur C, Mitra A, and Kumar A "Tobacco smoking effect on HIV-1
pathogenesis: Role of cytochrome P450 isozymes". Expert Opinion On Drug Metabolism and Toxicology. (July 4, 2013) (doi:10.1517/17425255.2013.816285.
52. Abrantes Pedro, McArthur Carole and Charlene Africa. Multi-drug resistant (MDR) oral
Candida species isolated from HIV-positive patients in South Africa and Cameroon. Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease. Accepted manuscript (unedited version) available online: 26-NOV-2013DOI information: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2013.09.016
53. Anusha Ande, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awasom, Paul Ngang Achu, Annette
Njinda, Anantha Nookala, Stephen Simon, Anil Kumar, and Santosh Kumar. Effect of mild to moderate drinking and smoking on viral load, cytokines and oxidative stress in HIV-1-infected Individuals. (Submitted Current HIV Research).
54. Earla Ravinder, Anusha Ande, Carole McArthur, Anil Kumar and Santosh Kumar.
"Enhanced nicotine metabolism in HIV-1-positive smokers compared to HIV-negative smokers: Simultaneous determination of nicotine and its four metabolites in their plasma using a simple and sensitive ESI-LC-MS/MS technique," Drug Metabolism and Disposition.Drug Metab Dispos dmd.113.055186; published ahead of print December 3, 2013, doi:10.1124/dmd.113.055186
55. Parichat Salee, LaChia Harrison, Kim Dionne, Carole McArthur, and Nicole Parrish.
"Combination of the by MODS Assay with the Sensititre MYCOTB Plate for Rapid
Detection of MDR- and XDR-TB". Submitted JCM April 2014.
Newspaper Op Eds and Magazine Articles:
1. McArthur, C.P., June, 1993. "Requiem to the New Zealand Health System" Healthnet, New Zealand.
2. McArthur C.P., Jan 1994. “What is a Single Payer System?” River City News. Kansas
4. McArthur C.P., Jan 1994. Letter to KC Star.
5. McArthur, C.P., Feb 23, 1994. Opinion on Health Reform. The Clutha Leader
6. Balclutha, New Zealand.
7. McArthur, C.P., July 6, 1994. Editorial. Single Minded. The River Front Times, St Louis.
8. McArthur Carole, 2 February, 2003. KC Star Metropolitan Sunday Opinion. “Numerous obstacles interfere with effective treatment”
Media Coverage regarding my research and humanitarian efforts:
1. Franey L. January 29, 2000 Kansas City Star “UMKC Professor helps fight AIDS”.
2. Panorama News Magazine. University of Missouri Kansas City. Spring 2000 “Out of Africa” p17
3. The Call. Jan 16th, 2000. Article on Dr McArthur’s AIDS Program and AIDS retreat.
4. Panorama News Magazine. University of Missouri Kansas City. Spring 2001. Traditional Healing and AIDS.
5. Threads. News from UMKC’s Women’s and Gender Studies Program. 2001 UMKC Professors Explore New HIV/AIDS Prevention.
6. Kansas City Star. Friday September 12, 2004 KC Metropolitan Section
7. Kansas City Star. Friday September 17, 2004. “Missouri University Spearheads AIDS Research in Cameroon.
8. St Louis Post Dispatch Friday 17 September, 2004. “Missouri University Spearheads AIDS Research in Cameroon.
9. Springfield News Friday 17 September, 2004. “Missouri University Spearheads AIDS Research”
10. Jefferson City News-Tribune. Friday September 17, 2004. “Missouri University Spearheads AIDS Research in Cameroon”. Reported in at least 30 additional newspapers via Associated Press.
11. UMKC Community News. “McArthur Researches AIDS in Africa. February 2005.
12. Perspectives Spring/Summer 2005 “Mission to Cameroon” p8-9 Victoria Prater Ed.
13. “Helping where help is needed” Kansas City Star Saturday December 10, 2005.
14. Traditional Medicine Award. Kansas City Star. Tuesday December 13, 2005.
15. University of Missouri Professor honored for identifying new strain of HIV. Kansas City Star December 13, 2005.
16. University of Otago, New Zealand Alumni Magazine “Saving Africa” April, 2006
17. Kansas City Star June 20, 2007 Editorial “Tuberculosis Research shows KC’s impact”.
1. KKFI, Jan. 20, 1994, "Single Payer Impact on the Campaign for Women's Health." One hour.
2. KPRT with Clara Maddox, Mar. 2, 1994. "Perspectives on Health Reform," One hour.
3. KKFI, June 7, 1994, "Analysis and Impact of Current Proposals on Health Care"
4. KKFI, June 22, 1994, "Why did the Clinton Plan Fail: an Analysis" 1hr
5. KKFI, May 20, 1998, “Impact of Managed Care on Medical System”
6. ABC TV Channel 9, Kansas City. January 13, 2000 UMKC Dental School US-Cameroon program involvement in HIV transmission in Africa.
7. PBS Radio Columbia, MO December 2001. Interview regarding Cameroon AIDS Research.
8. KCUR Radio Interview on HIV/AIDS panel in the community. Steve Kraske August 5, 2004.
9. KKFI Kansas City, October 11 2009. Invited Guest on “Every Woman” with Sharon
10. KKFI Kansas City, October 24, 2009. Invited Guest on “Every Women” Health forum with
11. KKFI, Kansas City, January 23, 2010. Invited guest on “Every Woman” to discuss the
UMKC Health Forum.
12. KKFI (90.1) Kansas City, March 24, 2011. Invited guest on Thursday night Special. “Impact
of the US Affordable Care Act”.
13. KKFI (90.1) Kansas City, December 18, 2013. Invited guest to discuss the Affrordabale Care Act and Missouri Medicaid changes with Dr. Ed Weisbart.
UMKC Web Site: search under mcarthur /cameroon/hiv/traditional healing
1. McArthur, C.P., 1973. Elucidation of the life history of a new strigeid trematode assigned to the genus Apatemon. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology, Wellington.
2. McArthur, C.P., 1978. Parasitic castration of Potomopyrgus antipodarum by digenean sporocysts and rediae. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology, Wellington.
3. McArthur, C.P., 1974. Molecular mimicry of fish tissues by myxosporidia of the genus Myxobolus. Proceedings of the New Zealand and Australian Societies for Parasitology, Palmerston North.
4. McArthur, C.P., 1975. Electron microscopic characterization of Myxosporidia Myxobolus spores in Anquilla australis and Anquilla dieffenbachii. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology, Wallaceville.
5. McArthur, C.P., 1976. Immunopathology of myxosporidioses in the genus Anguilla. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Immunology, Auckland.
6. McArthur, C.P., 1976. Biochemical Characterization of immunoglobulins in the New Zealand freshwater eel Anguilla australis infected with Mycobacterium spp. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology, Christchurch.
7. McArthur, C.P., 1977. Phylogeny of immunity in the New Zealand freshwater teleosts Anguilla dieffenbachii: Hemopoietic sites and lymphoid and myeloid cell differentiation. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology.
8. McArthur, C.P., 1977. Cellular and humoral immunologic responses of Anquilla ssp. parasitized by the digenetic trematode Telogaster opisthorchis. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Parasitology..
9. McArthur, C.P., Chauvenet, P.C. and Smith, R.T., 1979. In vitro demonstration of T-cell cytotoxicity with apparent specificity towards chemically-induced murine fibrosarcomas. Proceedings of the University of Otago Medical School.
10. McArthur, C.P., 1979. Attempts to produce monoclonal antibodies against TSTA upon chemically-induced murine fibrosarcoma PC-2. Proceedings of the University of Otago Medical School.
11. McArthur, C.P., Giles, R. and Clem, W.H., 1980. Studies on the molecular heterogeneity of DNP binding by murine Ig monoclonal antibodies. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society for Immunology.
12. McArthur, C.P., and Sengupta, S., 1980. Generation of monoclonal probes defining the H-Y antigen: Binding to murine and human spermatozoa. Proceedings of the Otago Research Society annual meeting.
13. Sengupta, S., McArthur, C.P., Williams, A. and Heslop, B.F., 1981. Lymphoblast transformation induced by syngeneic cells in mice. Proceedings of the University of Otago Medical School.
14. Sengupta, S., Mowbray, J.F. and McArthur, C.P., 1981. A simple method for the preparation of soluble HLA antigens from human serum. Proceedings of the University of Otago Medical School.
15. McArthur, C.P. and Sengupta, S., 1981. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the detection of hybridoma antibodies against the H-Y antigen on murine sperm. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society of Immunology.
16. McArthur, C.P., 1983. The production and utilization of monoclonal antibodies in research. Blood coagulation, Antibody Techniques Workshop, the Kellogg Center for Continuing Education, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. 48824.
17. McArthur, C.P., Schillhorn van Veen, T.W., Geary, A. and Williams, J.F., 1983. Development of four monoclonal antibodies against Dirofilaria immitis and their potential in the detection of circulating antigens. Twenty-eighth Annual Meeting of the American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists, New York, NY.
18. McArthur, C.P., Williams, J.F., Geary, A., and Mackenzie, C.D., 1983. Radioimmunoprecipitation analysis of antibody responses by Sudanese patients with onchocerciasis and characterization of the reactivity of four monoclonal probes. Joint meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene and the American Society of Parasitologists, San Antonio, TX.
19. McArthur, C.P., 1984. An immunoassay for the human D-dimer of fibrin using monoclonal antibodies. Blood coagulation, Antibody Techniques Workshop, the Kellogg Center for Continuing Education, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
20. McArthur, C.P. and Lavallie, D., 1985. The use of a monoclonal based ELISA and Latex agglutination test for the detection of cross-linked fibrin derivatives in patients with coagulation and fibrinolytic disorders. Michigan Academy of Science, March, 1985.
21. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N. and Miller, H., 1985. Production and evaluation of monoclonal antibodies which recognize human fetal trophoblast cells. Mid-West Immunology Conference, Chicago, IL.
22. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N., Costa, M., Chang, C.K., 1991. Method for the prenatal detection of birth defects. 5th Annual Student - Faculty Research Days, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine.
23. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N., and Kragel, P., 1992. Role of Laminin in Sjögren's Syndrome. House staff, St. Luke's Hospital Research Days (June 15).
24. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N. , and Kragel, P., 1992. The Immunopathology of Laminin in Sjögrens Syndrome. UMKC School of Medicine Student-Faculty Research days.
25. Fox, N., McArthur, C., Spratt, M., and Kragel, P., 1992. The Association of Laminin with salivary gland ducts of patients with Sjögren's Syndrome. The FASEB Journal, Part II, p. A1625, Abstract #3986.
26. Fox, N. and McArthur, C., (Nov. 1992). Altered Laminin Expression in Sjögren's Syndrome I, Molecular Biology of the Cell Abstract. The Amer. Soc. for Cell Biology, 32nd Annual Meeting, Denver, Co.
27. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N. and Kragel, P. 1993. Detection and identification of a laminin-like protein in Sjögren's Syndrome by in situ hybridization. St. Luke's Hospital (May 21, 1993). Research Days.
28. Fox, N. and McArthur, C., and Kragel (Mar. 1993). Altered Laminin Expression in Sjögren's Syndrome II, J Dental Res. 72(IADR Abstracts #2358).
29. McArthur, C.P., Fox N.W., and Kragel P.J. (1993)Increased Laminin Expression in labial salivary glands of patients with Sjogren's Syndrome. Amer. Jl Of Clin. Path. 100(3):343, Abstract #138.
30. McArthur, C.P., Fox, N, and Kragel, P. (1994) Upregulation of Salivary Gland â Integrins in Sjögren's Syndrome. J. Dental Res 73(IADR Abstracts) #2546.
31. Daniels, P., McArthur, C., Fox, N., and Kragel, P. (1994) Autoantibodies and vasculitis in a mouse model of Sjögren's Syndrome. J. Dental Res 73(IADR Abstracts) #2540.
32. McArthur C, Fox N, Kragel P (1994) "Increased laminin mRNA expression in Sjogren's Syndrome by situ hybridization" (Kansas City Pathologic Society), April 24, 1994
33. McArthur C., Fox N., and Kragel, P. (1994) Increased Expressional VLA 6/â Integrin Salivary Gland Epithelia in Sjogren's Syndrome. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology.
34. Daniels P. and McArthur C. (1996) Laminin expression in salivary glands of patients with Sjogren’s Syndrome precedes lymphocytic infiltration. Abstract # 2029, IADR, San Francisco, CA, March, 13-17, 1996
35. McArthur C, Wang Y, Heruth P, and Rothberg P. Measurement of basement membrane mRNA species in cultured salivary glands. Abstract # 3141 presented at IADR, San Francisco, CA, March 13-17, 1996
36. Walker A, McArthur C, Jillian L, and Howard P (1996) Absence of serum antibodies binding laminin and fibronectin in Sjogren’s Syndrome. Abstract # 2388, IADR, San Francisco, CA, March 13-17, 1996
37. McArthur C, Sokhansanj A, Marzban F, Fiorella R, Kragel P and Narayan O (1996) Ductal and basement membrane narrowing in Sjogren’s Syndrome. Latin American Assn. Of Salivary Research 2nd Annual Meeting, School of Dentistry, Toluca, Mexico. May, 1996
38. Lawlor K, McArthur Carole and P. Daniels (1997) bcl-2 and p53 Expression in Sjogren’s Syndrome. J Dent Res 76 (IADR Abstracts) p 100
39. McArthur C, Glaros A, Lien Dau. Yan Wang and Kragel P. (1997) Ductal and acinar Basement membrane in Sjogren’s Syndrome. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 45,557-580.
40. Nittler T, Stone M, Schroff D, McArthur C, Veno P, Dobbs L, Brizio-Molteni L, and A.Molteni (1998) Inhibitory Effect of Captopril on Proliferation of a Human Salivary Gland Adenocarcinoma Cell Line. FASEB Journal, Vol 12, 5, p A 811.
41. McArthur C, Wang Yan, Heruth D, Rothberg P, Bamberger D, Palmer D (1998) Role of HIV-tat in salivary gland Immunopathogenesis. J Dent Res Vol 77, p 731 (IADR ) Abstract # 797.
42. Daniels PJ and McArthur CP (1998) Laminin Expression and Proliferation of Interferon - stimulated Salivary Gland Cells. J Dental Research 77, 727.
43. Daniels P, C.P. McArthur, W. DePond, S.A. Gustafson and D. French (1999) Cytokine-mediated effects on Proliferation, Viability, and Cell Cycle Regulation of a Human Salivary Gland Duct Cell Line (HSG) on Matrigel and Plastic. Gordon Research Conference on Salivary Glands and Saliva. Feb 21-26, 1999, Ventura, California.
44. McArthur CP, Hongmei Meng, Wang Y, Heruth D, Fiorella R and D. Palmer. (1999) Role of HIV-tat Gene on Basement Membrane Proteins in Salivary Gland Pathogenesis. Arthritis Research Conference. Washington, D.C. August 1999.
45. Subtil A, McArthur CP, Palmer Dennis, Fiorella R and Steve Gustafson (1999) HIV-associated Salivary Ductal Epithelial Atypia and Diffuse Infiltrative Lymphocytosis Syndrome in AIDS patients from Cameroon, West Africa. Arthritis Research Conference. August 1999.
46. Fleming, Subtil A, McArthur C, Gustafon S, Miranda R, Palmer D and R. Fiorella, April, 2000. Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 in Labial Salivary Glands of Of Patients with HIV-associated Salivary Gland Disease. 54th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Oral Medicine, Los Vegas, April 2000. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics Vol 89 (4) p 441.
47. Veno P, D. Palmer, R. Miranda, Y. Wang and C. McArthur. Matrix Metalloprotenase- 9 in saliva: A comparison between HIV positive and negative cases and between patients in Cameroon and Kansas City. Arthritis Research Conference. Abstract P34, p38, March 23-25, 2001 San Diego.
48. G. Taylor, S. Prstocich, R. Johnson, C. McArthur and M.B.Lyles. In vitro culture of primary human adipocytes: Influence of three dimensional architecture. AADR 30th Annual Meeting, March 7-10, 2001 Chicago, IL.
49. Wang Y, P. Veno, R. Johnson, M. Lyles, R. Fiorella and C. McArthur. Autoantigen mobilization in human salivary gland cell line (HSG) following INF-induced apoptosis. Arthritis Research Conference. Abstract P99, p95, March 23-25, 2001 San Diego.
50. McLaughlin M, McArthur C, Castellani W, Subtil A, Gustafson S, Fiorella R and R. Miranda. Expression of Metalloproteinase-9, Collagen 1 and IV in Labial salivary glands: A comparison between HIV positive and HIV negative cases. USCAP. Mod Pathol 2001, 14; 212 (1247) Atlanta, GA.
51. Luk K.C., Soriano V, Zekeng L, Kaptue L, Gurtler L, McArthur C, Devare S, Hackett J. Natural Occurrence of Resistance-Associated Sequence Polymorphisms within the Protease Gene of HIV-1 Group O. 8th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. Chicago Feb 4-8th 2001.
52. McArthur C, Wang Y, Veno P, and Fiorella R. Mobilization of Autoantigens in Salivary Gland Cells (HSG) following Apoptosis. IADR June 27-29, Chiba, Japan, 2001. Jl Dent Res 80, p618, Abstract #734
53. Wang Y, Cobb C, Tuttle T, Castellani W and McArthur C. Lamina Lucida Absence in Sjögren=s Syndrome and AIDS. IADR June 27-29, Chiba, Japan, 2001.Jl Dent Res 80 p765, Abstract #1907.
54. Vallari A, Yamaguchi J, Coffey R, McArthur C, Javynyuy E, Bonkisheri L, Chiek S, Timah C and Brennan C. HIV-1 Group M and Group O dual infections in rural Northwest Cameroon. 9th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. Seattle, US. February 24-28 2002. #764W
55 Vallari A, Yamaguchi J, Bodelle P, Coffey R, McArthur C, Devare S, Schochetman G, Brennan C. HIV-1 Group M and Group O dual infections in Rural Northwestern Cameroon. 9th HIV dynamics and Evolution Meeting (Lake Arrowhead CA) March 17-20, 2002.
56. McArthur, Howard P, Africa C, Palmer D, Luangjamakorn N, Cobb C, McLaughlan M, Gustafson S, Subtil A, Castellani W, and Miranda R. Salivary gland disease: Primary Sjogren’s Syndrome vs HIV/AIDS in American and African patients. Jl Dent Res 83, 2003. Abstract #356 AADR March 12-15, 2003. San Antonio, TX, USA
57. Wang Y, Howard P, Veno P and McArthur C. Detection of the Autoantigen alpha fodrin in saliva of patients with Sjögren’s Syndrome.Jl Dent Res 83, 2003 Abstract # 358 AADR March 12-15, 2003. San Antonio, USA
58. Dallal N, Werdzerem, Kindzeka M, Gullone E, Wang Y, Rathbone-McCuan E and McArthur C. Salivary Cortisol, HIV and Risk taking behavior in Cameroonian youths. Jl Dent Res 83, 2003 AADR Abstract #362 March 12-15, 2003. San Antonio, TX, USA.
59. Wilhelm Frank, Herz Elisabeth, McArthur Carole and Cornelia Wershnik. Die entwicklung HIV-pravalenz in zentralafrika-untersucht an der augenklinik in Bafoussam/Kamerun. 2003
60. Bodelle P, McArthur C, Vallari A, Coffey R, Devare S, Beyeme M and Brennan C. Identification and Genomic Sequence of an HIV-1 Group N isolate from Cameroon. 11th Annual Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. San Francisco, CA. February 8-11th, 2004 Oral Presentation #145.
61. Bodelle P, McArthur C, Vallari A, Coffey R, Devare S, Beyeme M and Brennan C. Identification and Genomic Sequence of an HIV-1 Group N isolate from Cameroon. 11th HIV Dynamics and Evolution meeting (Stockholm Sweden). April 29- May 2, 2004 Oral Presentation #37.
62. McArthur C, Wang Y, Miranda R, Achu P, Ntongsi D. “Apoptosis is the mechanism of salivary gland disease”. IADR/AADR/CADR 82nd General Session March 10-13, 2004. Hawaii.
63. Wang Y, McArthur C and Achu Paul. Augmentation of Apoptsis by NfkB Inhibition in HSG cells. Submitted IADR/AADR/CADR 82 General Session (March 10-13, 2004).
64. Bodelle P, McArthur C.P., Vallari A, Coffey R, Yamaguchi J, Beyeme M, Devare SG, Schochetman G, Brennan CA. XV International AIDS Conf (Bangkok, Thailand) July 11-16, 2004. #MoPeC3418
65. McArthur Carole, Achu Paul, and WangY. Alpha Fodrin marker of Disease in Sjögren’s Syndrome.83rd General Session of the International, American and Canadian Associations of Dental Research. Baltimore, March 9-12, 2005 Abstract #3402
66. Wang Y, Achu Paul and McArthur Carole. Markers of Transmigration in a Salivary Gland Model. 83rd General Session of the International, American and Canadian Association of Dental Research. Baltimore Convention Center, March 9-12, 2005. # 3396.
67. McArthur Carole, Achu Paul, and WangY. Alpha Fodrin marker of Disease in Sjögren’s Syndrome. Kansas City Lifesciences Research Day March 9, 2005
68. Wang Y, Achu Paul and McArthur Carole. Markers of Transmigration in a Salivary Gland Model. Kansas City Lifesciences Research Day. March 9, 2005
69. Wang Y and Carole McArthur Apopotic Salivary Markers in Sjögren’s Syndrome. Arthritis Research Conference, Atlanta May 2005
70. McArthur Carole and Yan Wang .Mediators of Salivary Gland Lymphocytosis. Arthritis Research Conference, Atlanta, May, 2005.
71. Wang Y, Wang Z, Dusevich V, Virji A, and McArthur Carole. Salivary apoptotic bodies are pathway dependent and bare cleaved autoantigens. Abstract:AADR and ADEA Annual meeting in Orlando # 1052 March 10, 2006
72. McArthur Carole, Achu P, Sayani Y and Wang Y. “Alterations in Gene expression in apoptotic salivary glands” Abstract : AADR and ADEA Annual meeting in Orlando # 1051 March 10, 2006.
73. Wang Y, Wang Z, Dusevich V, Virji A, and McArthur Carole. “Salivary apoptotic bodies are pathway dependent and bare cleaved autoantigens”. Abstract: Improving Life Through Innovation, KC Life Sciences Research Day, March 30, 2006
74. McArthur Carole, Achu P, Sayani Y and Wang Y. “Alterations in Gene expression in apoptotic salivary glands” Abstract : Improving life through Innovation, Kansas City Life Sciences Research Day, March 30, 2006
75. Wang Yan and Carole McArthur “Alterations in gene expression in apoptotic salivary gland cells. Oral and Craniofacial International Symposium 125th, Anniversary for UMKC School of Dentistry, October 9, 2006
76. Wang Y and McArthur Carole “Estrogen inhibits Apoptosis in an Autoimmune Model” Abstract: IADR New Orleans, March 21-24, 2007.
77. McArthur Carole and Wang Yan “ Glucocorticoids Increase Apoptosis in Human Salivary Ductal Cells. Abstract IADR New Orleans, March 21-24, 2007.
78. McArthur C, Gidwani R, Flauta V, Nzabi M, Dim D, Meriki H, Ongey J, Molokova V, Koulchin V and Lingamfelter D. “ Detection of HIV/TB co-infection using a combined urine and salivary LAM assay. American Society for Microbiology, Abstract # 07-GM-A-4900-ASM, Toronto, Canada.
79. McArthur Carole and Wang Yan. “Alterations in Gene expression in apoptotic salivary gland cells”. Abstract PA 26 Arthritis Research Conference. Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA April 21-23, 2007
80. Wang Yan and Carole McArthur. “Salivary apoptotic morphology is pathway dependent and bare cleaved autoantigens. Abstract PA 39. Arthritis Research Conference, Stone Mountain, Atlanta, Georgia, April 21-23, 2007
90. Wang Yan and Carole McArthur “Characterization of apoptotic pathways in a salivary gland model.” IADR Toronto, 2008
91. Wang Yan and Carole McArthur, Expression of lymphocyte activation proteins in the
salivary glands of Patients with Sjogren’s Syndrome. AADR/NIDCR Miami. April 1, 2009.
92. Wang Yan and Carole McArthur. Apoptosis induced by Staurosporine in Human Salivary
Gland Cell Line (HSG), AADR/IADR March 3, 2010.
93. Mathew Hardin and Carole McArthur. “Treatment of Mycobacterial tuberculosis with
Propolis in Guinea pigs” Poster #63, AADR, March 3, 2010 Washington DC, :
94. Jubulis J, Dionne K, McArthur Carole, Jain Sanjay, Karen Carroll and Nicole Parrish.
“Direct Identification of Mycobacterium spp from sputum using HPLC” American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, New Orleans, LA, May 2011.
95. “Susceptibility Patterns of Oral Candida Isolates from African HIV+ Populations” Abrantes
Pedro, McArthur Carole, Ayuk Leo, and Charlene Africa. IADR/LAR General Session (June 20-23, 2012),Iguaçu Falls, Brazil. Abstract ID#:163723
96. Chakraborty R, Torres-Romero L, McArthur C, Molteni A Estrogens inhibit TNF-α-
induced apoptosis in an autoimmune disease model. Abstract LB480. Experimental Biology 2012, April 21-25, San Diego Convention Center, San Diego. CA.
97. Cynthia L Bristow, Mariya A Babayeva, Rozbeh Modarresi, Carole P McArthur, Santosh
Kumar, Charles Awasom, Leo Ayuk, Annette Njinda,. “Rapid, cell-free CD4 enumeration using whole saliva” May 25, 2012 17th International Symposium on HIV and Emerging Infectious Diseases” Retrovirology 2012, 9 (suppl 1):p58 doi:10.1186/1742-4690-9-S1-p5
Shared on Google+. View the post.You +1'd this publicly. Undo98. Abrantes Pedro, McArthur Carole, Ayuk Leo, and Charlene Africa. Susceptibility Patterns
of Oral Candida Isolates from African HIV+ Populations” IADR/LAR General Session (June 20-23, 2012), Iguaçu Falls, Brazil. Abstract ID#:163723
99. Chakraborty R, Torres-Romero L, McArthur C, Molteni A Estrogens inhibit TNF-α-
induced apoptosis in an autoimmune disease model. Abstract LB480. Experimental Biology 2012, April 21-25, San Diego Convention Center, San Diego. CA.
100.Abrantes P, Africa C, Ayuk L, Awasom C and Carole McArthur. “Widespread Azole
Resistance in Oral Candida species isolated from HIV-positive Cameroonian Patients”. American Society of Microbiology 113th Annual Meeting, May 18-21st, 2013, Denver, CO
101.Barnard M, Warren R, Parrish N and Carole McArthur. “The Evaluation of the Sensititre
MYCOTB Plate Assay for Drug susceptibility testing in Mycobacterium tuberculosis against first and second-line drugs”. American Society of Microbiology 113th Annual Meeting, May 18-21, 2013, Denver, CO. Abstract 13-GM-A-3195-ASM.
102. Parcel Sean, Alexander Shnyra, Lofthus Eve, Awasom Charles, Ayuk Leo,
McArthur Carole, and Steve Gustafson. Clinical evaluation of the QBC FAST stain
and paralens advanced LED system for malaria diagnosis. KCUMB Research Symposium, November, 2013.
103. Parcel Sean, Wade David, Steven Gustafson and Carole McArthur. Characterization of
Biofilm Properties of Candida species. KCUMB Research Symposium November 21st, 2013.
Invited Academic and Community presentations:
1. McArthur, C.P., 1991. Clinical Aspects of Sjögren's Syndrome. Senior Dental Hygiene Students. (Nov 23).
2. McArthur, C.P., June 29, 1992. Oral Hygiene aspects of Sjögren's Syndrome. University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry Summer Dental Scholar Program.
3. McArthur, C. (Oct. 1992). University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Pharmacy, Disorders of the Immune System.
4. McArthur, C., (Jan. 7, 1993). Truman Medical Center Autopsy Conference. Rare Signet Ring Carcinoma of the Pancreas.
5. McArthur, C. (April 15, 1993). Avila College, Kansas City. - "A Comparison of a Single Payer System with Managed Competition."
6. McArthur, C. (April, 1993). UMKC School of Dentistry Universal Health Care Forum, "Universal Health Care --Why and How?" Moderator and forum panel member with Professor Merton Bernstein and Dr. Patrick Clyne.
7. McArthur, C. (April, 1993). Invited speaker to Women's Alliance, "Health Care Delivery as a Single Payer System: The Affects on Women and Children."
8. McArthur, C. (May 12, 1994) Invited speaker Missouri Association of Social Workers, Clinton, Missouri. "A comparison of Single Payer Health Systems with Managed Care." (2 hr)
9. McArthur, C. (Jan. 5, 1994) Invited speaker. Northwest Missouri Health System, St. Joseph, Mo. "The simplicity of a Single Payer Health System." (Debate) (2 hr)
10. McArthur, C. (Jan 26, 1994) Invited speaker. Womens Alliance. "Impact of Health Care Reform on the Elderly." (1 1/2 hour) Palestine Church.
11. McArthur, C. (Feb 5, 1994) "Healthy Mothers, Daughters and Grandmothers: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow." National Coalition for Womens Health Forum. "The Impact of a Single Payer System on Women's Health."
12. McArthur, C. (Feb 8, 1994) "The Problems with Health Care." Conn-West Elementary School, Grandview, Missouri.
13. McArthur, C. (Mar 5, 1994) "Healthy Mothers, Daughters and Grandmothers: Status Quo or Real Reform." Unitarian Church, Kansas City, Missouri. Moderator of question section on health reform.
14. McArthur, C. (Mar 19, 1994) “Analysis of the Driving Forces in U.S. Healthcare” Bragg Symposium 1994 All Souls Unitarian Church. Two presentations, Kansas City, Missouri. (2 hours).
15. McArthur, C. (June 26, 1994) Invited Speaker, Penn Valley Society of Friends. "What's wrong with the U.S. Health System?" (1Hr)
16. McArthur, C. (July 6, 1994) Guest Lecturer, Bloch School of Business, UMKC "Fundamentals of Single Payer Systems in Health Care" (3hr)
17. McArthur, C. (July 9, 1994) Guest Speaker on the position of Single Payer in the Health Reform Process. Older Womens League.
18. McArthur, C. (July 10, 1994) Guest speaker on the position of the Health Reform process. National Organisation for Women.
19. McArthur, C. (August 28, 1994) Guest Speaker for Mid-Missourians for Single Payer Health Care. "What is Single Payer and why do we need this in the U.S." Calvary Episcopal Church, Columbia, MO
20. McArthur, C. (August 29, 1994) Invited Speaker of the St Louis Ethical Society to participate in a panel discussing "Health Reform: Which Plan?" Presented on an International Perspective of Single Payer. St Louis, MO.
21. McArthur, C. (August 30, 1994) Guest Speaker at the Kansas City Women's Central Exchange. "The need for the dynamic Duo instead of the Devil's Triangle"
22. McArthur, C. (October 1, 1994) Guest Speaker, New Mexico Dental Hygienists Association, 6th Scientific Session, Albuquerque, New Mexico."Autoimmune Disease and the Health Care Professional"
23. McArthur, C. (October 6, 1994) Guest Panelist on "Health Issues: How will the Clinton Health Plan Effect Local Communities" Holden Methodist Church, Holden, Missouri
24. McArthur, C. (October 15, 1994) Guest Speaker Missouri Dental Hygienists Association "The oral and physical sequelae of connective tissue disease and the role of the Dental Hygienist"
25. McArthur, C. (October 16, 1994) Guest Speaker Missouri Dental Hygienists Association. "The causes of our National Health Care Crisis".
26. McArthur, C. (October 27, 1994) Key Note Speaker at Missouri Association of Social Welfare 94th Annual Conference, Springfield, Missouri "Real Heath Care Reform: What is it?"
27. McArthur, C. (October 27, 1994) Missouri Association of Social Welfare 94th Annual Conference, Springfield, Missouri. Presented a workshop entitled "Universal Health Reform- from the Wizard of Oz"
28. McArthur, C. (February 18, 1995) Missouri Valley Regional Conference. "Health Care: the Issue that won't go away" Invited Speaker. Howard Johnson's, Kansas City, MO.
29. McArthur, C. (February 28, 1995) Missouri Association for Social Welfare Conference. "Medicare for All". Invited Speaker. "Single Payer: The Basics".
30. McArthur, C. (May 6, 1995) Kansas City Area Progressive Network, Kansas Community College, Kansas City, Ks. "Grass Roots Organizing Strategies that work".
31. McArthur, C. (Jan 6, 1996) Mechanism of Salivary gland destruction in Sjögren’s Syndrome. Invited presentation. National Sjögren’s Syndrome Assn. St Lukes Hospital, Kansas City. (11/2h)
32. McArthur, C. (Jun 15, 1998) Molecular Mechanisms of Salivary Gland Disease. UMKC Dental School Summer Scholars Program
33. McArthur C ( Sept, 1998) Up-date on Sjogren’s Syndrome associated salivary gland disease. National Sjogren’s Syndrome Assn. St Lukes Hospital, Kansas City (11/2h)
34. McArthur C (April 3, 2000) “Reflections on a Career in Science” South Otago High School, Balclutha, N.Z.
35. McArthur C (April 6, 2000) Initiation of an HIV prevention program in Cameroon, West Africa. Balclutha Rotary Club, Balclutha, NZ.
36. McArthur C (April 9, 2000) “Out of Africa” Probest Club, Balclutha, NZ
37. McArthur C ( May 4, 2000) “Out of Africa” Leavenworth Lions Club, Leavenworth, Ks.
38. McArthur C (June 15, 2000) “Out of Africa”, Rotary Club 13, Kansas City, MO. Kansas City Club, March 16, 2000.
39. McArthur C (September 28, 2000) “Out of Africa”, Research Medical Center, Kansas City, MO.
40. McArthur C. (November 1, 2000) “Out of Africa”, UMKC University Professors group at The Supreme Bean in Kansas City, Ks.
41. McArthur C. (November 21, 2000) “In vitro models of salivary gland disease”. Pathology Department, University of Otago, Dunedin,New Zealand.
42. McArthur C. (November 29, 2000). Dunedin Public Hospital, Department of Pathology, Dunedin, New Zealand. “Out of Africa”.
43. McArthur C. (April 9, 2001) “Out of Africa-HIV -transmission strategy for the US- Cameroon Program”, Department of Microbiology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand.
44. McArthur C. (April 25, 2001) “Out of Africa -HIV transmission strategy for Developing World”. Health Mid-West Laboratories Annual Symposium at Menorah Medical Center, 119th and Nall, Kansas City, MO.
45. McArthur C. (April 29, 2001) “Out of Africa - Mission to Cameroon”. Old Mission Church, Shawnee Mission Church, Shawnee, Ks.
46. McArthur C. (July 2, 2001. International Symposium of Kanagawa Dental College, Tokyo, Japan. Biological and Molecular Approach to Oral Tissue and Temporomandibular Joint. Salivary Gland Gene transfection: An approach to gene therapy to produce a model of HIV- associated salivary gland disease.
47. McArthur C. (February 19, 2002) St Luke’s Hospital Laboratory Training Program. “The African Laboratory Experience”.
48. McArthur C. (February 20, 2002) African Safari. Gillis Boy’s School, 8450 Wornall, KC. MO
49. McArthur C. (March 13,2002) “Genetic Diversity of HIV subgroups encountered in an HIV screening program in Cameroon”. VA Center for HIV/AIDS Research at University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Tx
50. McArthur C. (April 18, 2002) “Out of Africa”. KC Society for Clinical Laboratory Science, Marriott Hotel, Overland Park.
51. McArthur C (January 20, 2003). Traditional healing and Complementary Medicine in Cameroon: opportunities for collaboration. University of Kansas, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Lawrence, KS.
52. McArthur C (March 2, 2004) “Studies on the Mechanism of Salivary Gland Disease” J. Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, Karnataka, India.
53. McArthur C ( April 8, 2004) “Studies on the Mechanism of Salivary Gland Disease in HIV/AIDS” Postgraduate Institute of Medical Research, Chandigarh, Punjab, India.
54. McArthur Carole (June 17, 2004) “The Mechanism of HIV-associated salivary gland disease” Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio.
55. McArthur Carole (October 22, 2004) Expert panelist on the “Killer factor” HIV/AIDS event
at Swope Park Methodist Church, 6300 Swope Parkway.
56. McArthur Carole (May 6, 2005) “Out of Africa update” Kansas City Laboratory Manager’s
Association. Classic Cup, Kansas City, MO 64108
57. McArthur Carole (January 16, 2006) Opportunities for TB diagnostic test evaluation in Sub-
Saharan Africa” Chemogen Corporation.
58. McArthur Carole (January 31, 2006)”Interdisciplinary partnerships in the sub-Sahara” Roche
Molecular Systems, Pleasanton, CA.
59. McArthur Carole (August 23, 2006) “Opportunities for therapeutic drug evaluation in the
sub-Sahara”, Global Alliance for Development of TB Therapeutic drugs. Dr Ann Ginsberg.
60. McArthur Carole (September 18th, 2007) “Opportunities for diagnostic test evaluation using
rare tissues in Cameroon” Trinity Biotech, Dublin, Ireland.
61. McArthur Carole (November 31, 2007) UMKC Contributions to International Health. Invited
Presentation to Curators of the University of Missouri by videotape and presented by
Amanda Denning (Public Relations Specialist for the American College of Family Physicians,
62. McArthur Carole (March 19, 2008) “Isolation and characterization of rare HIV sub-types
from Cameroon: Translational research showing evidence of transmission from primates to
man.” Department of Oral Biology, UMKC School of Dentistry, Kansas City, MO 64108
63. McArthur Carole (October 6, 2009) “Isolation and characterization of rare HIV sub-types
from Cameroon: Translational research showing evidence of transmission from primates to
man.” Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of West Cape, Cape Town, South
64. McArthur Carole (October 5, 2009 “Isolation and characterization of rare HIV sub-types
from Cameroon: Translational research showing evidence of transmission from primates to
man.” University of Western Cape Institution of Traditional medicine.
65. McArthur Carole (October 18, 2009) Invited panelist and presenter “The Devil’s Triangle”.
Healthcare/Warfare: We pay, Who Profits? Community Christian Church 4601 Main,
66. McArthur Carole (January 30th, 2010). Invited panelist on “Conversations in Health care”
UMKC Great debates series on Health Care reform. UMKC Law School.
67. McArthur Carole (February 27, 2010) Invited panelist on “Conversations in Health Care
UMKC Great Debates” UMKC Law School.
68. McArthur Carole (April 15, 2010) Moderator for the third in the Series of Great Debates on
Health Care. See U-tube community conversations in Health Care at UMKC.
69. McArthur Carole (June 10, 2010) “Isolation and characterization of rare HIV sub-types from
Cameroon: Translational research showing evidence of transmission from primates to man.”
Children’s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City.
70. McArthur Carole (April 13th, 2011) “International Research Opportunities in Public Health”
UMKC Miller-Nichols Library.
71. McArthur Carole: How do you merge a humanitarian effort with Research? A look at a 20
year effort with the HIV epidemic” Community of Reason. Rm 301 Haag Hall, UMKC
March 30th, 2014.
Delegate or invited meetings not referenced elsewhere:
September 10-15, 2007 “Immune mediated diseases” Moscow, Russia (37 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits).
October 4-7, 2007 Infectious Disease Society of America meeting, San Diego, CA (6AMA Credits)
March 8, 2008 “Genes, Environment and Health”. Ewing Kauffman Foundation, 4801 Rockhill, Kansas City, MO Public Forum Moderator
April 8-11, 2008 Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA “TB vaccines for the World”. International Delegate.
June 13-25, 2008 Montego Bay, Jamaica. Immunopotentiators in Modern Vaccines. International Delegate. December 1-5th, 2009. Union World Conference on World Health, Cancun, Mexico. Member of the STOP TB New Diagnostic Working group delegate to meeting on the 3rd December, 2009.
December 1-7th, 2009. Cancun Mexico, Union World Conference on Lung Health. STOP TB Working Group Member.
1962-1963 South Otago High School Letters for field hockey and softball (NZ)
1964 Letters for athletics and cross country running
1966-1967 Provincial field hockey representative
1970 New Zealand Navy skin-diving accreditation
1976-1977 Provincial representative at New Zealand Women's Cross Country championship
1977 Provincial track champion over 1500 and 3000 meters. Provincial representative at New Zealand Track Championships
1978 Florida relays marathon champion (Florida state record.)
U.S. Women's National Cross Country Championships. Nashville, Tennessee.
1978 Boston Marathon, Hopkinton. Placed in the first 100 women.
1977-1979 Placed in over 30 additional middle and long distance track and road races.
1979-1981 Placed in over 35 additional middle and long distance track and road races in New Zealand
1979 Boston Marathon as representative of the Florida Track Club.
1979 Southeastern U.S. Road Racing Champion
1980 Otago Provincial Road Racing Champion in New Zealand
1981 Invited to compete in the South Pacific Games in Christchurch, New Zealand
1981 Iron Man Triathlon, Lake Portage, Michigan (record)
Sporting and Other Affiliations:
1991-present Member, American Saddlebred Horse Association of America
1997- Member Mid America Saddle Club
2002- Member, Rotary Chapter 13, Kansas City.
Feb 6, 2014