Carlo Altamura, MD,
A. Carlo Altamura, MD, is Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Milan, Italy, and Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry , Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico of Milan, Italy.
Graduated as Medical Doctor in 1972 at the University of Milan where he completed the Residency School of Psychiatry in 1976. Visiting scientist in different Academic Institutions (University Psychiatry Hospital Aarhus, DK; “Mario Negri Institute” for Pharmacological Research, Milan; London Hospital Medical College, London; “Laboratoires d’Etudes et Recherches Synthelabo, Paris; Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio).
Scientific Awards from the “European Science Foundation Training Programme in Brain , Behaviour Research” (Strasbourg,1977) and for “Scientific Production and Activities" at the University of Milan (1980).
Author of more than 450 Scientific Publications in the fields of Psychopharmacology, Biological Psychiatry and Psychogeriatry.
Member and Councilor of the following Professional Societies:
- European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (Executive Committee Member 1998-2002); ECNP Fellow Membership (2012) - Collegium Internationale NeuroPsychopharmachologicum (CINP) (Councilor 2002-2004; Member of the CINP Nominating Committee 2007-2010);
- World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry(WFSBP) (Ethics Committee Member)
- International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) (Councilor 2010-2012); (Vice President (2014-2016);
- International Congress on Schizophrenia Research (Advisory Board Member 2012).
- Italian Associations of :Psychiatry, Biological Psychiatry, Neuropsychopharmacology, Neuroscience and Psychogeriatrics.
- Co-Author of International “Consensus Statements” and “Treatment Guidelines” as following:
- ECNP (Guidelines for Depot Antipsychotic Treatment in Schizophrenia [Kane et al., Neuropsychopharmacol. 1998;8(1):55-66];Negative, depressive and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia ECNP.Nice, March 2004 [ Montgomery et al, Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2007;17:70-77] ) - Manifesto for European Anxiety Disorders Research Network [ Baldwin et al.,2010 Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol. 2010;20:426-432]
- WPA (WPA Section on Pharmacopsychiatry: SSRIs/Antidepressants and Suicide Risk [Moeller et al., Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 258 Suppl 3:3-23. 2008]; Comparative Effectiveness of Antipsychotics in the Treatment of Schizophrenia [Tandon et al., Schizophr Res. 2008;100(1-3):20-38])
- WFSBP(Guidelines for the Treatment of Schizophrenia [Falkai et al., 2005 World J Biol Psychiatry.2005;6(3):132-91]).
- Member of the Editorial Board of International Scientific Journals including International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, International Clinical Psychopharmacology, Journal of Affective Disorders, The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, Neuropsychiatry,Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences, World Journal of Psychiatry (WJP).,Schizophrenia Bull. (2014)
- Reviewerfor Journals like Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, American Journal of Psychiatry, Archives of General Psychiatry, Biological Psychiatry, Schizophrenia Res., etc.
- Other International Scientic Commitments:
- Chairman of the Innovation in Psychiatry (INNOPSY), an International Forum held biennially in Milan on clinical and therapeutic innovations in Psychiatry.(www.innopsy.it)